05| It's...Complicated

Julie's POV:

Julie's POV:

"So, what did your parents say?" Is the first thing Sofia says to me when she arrives to class.

"About what?" I ask.

She gives me a look. "The party. Did you forget to ask?"

"Oh," I respond then give her an apologetic smile, "sorry, I did forget."

"The party is tomorrow night."

"I know, I'll ask tonight. I promise."

Sofia sighs. "I just really want you to come. It's going to be a lot of fun and I mean we're basically best friends already so I wouldn't want to go without you."

I smile. Since I've gotten here Sofia has been a great friend to me. My only friend really. She's made these first few days of school easy and is always helping me out when we're volunteering together at the Science Center. Which now makes me feel a bit guilty for not asking my parents. I did sorta forget about the party but I know deep down it was because I wasn't sure if I really wanted to go. But now, maybe just for Sofia, I'll go with no hesitations.

"Thanks," I tell her, "I'm lucky to have met you over the summer. I will definitely go to the party with you."

She smiles.

When class ends Sofia and I go our separate ways. As I'm walking to my next class, I notice Charlie walking not too far ahead of me. I pick up my pace.

"Hey," I say once reaching him.

"You do realize people are watching, right?"

"Okay? Is there some type of reputation you're trying to uphold that I'm ruining by walking with you." I tease.

Charlie let's out a laugh. "I was talking about your reputation. Remember people here don't like me."

I let out a groan. "Yeah what's up with that. You said it's complicated but really what-"

"Hey guys." I'm interrupted by Victor.

"Hey," I respond.

"Hey cuz," Charlie says, "I'll see you guys later." I watch as Charlie begins to walk faster, leaving Victor and I behind.

"I didn't know you two were friends," Victor remarks.

"Uh yeah, sorta."

"Interesting."

"Why do you say so?" I question.

"Charlie doesn't really like to make friends, I mean remember the first day of school?"

"Oh yeah."

"So where are you heading? Wanna walk together."

"Sure."

When lunch comes around Charlie doesn't sit with us. I can tell everyone at our table is relieved by that. I can't help but wonder if he's in the library.