02| I'll Teach You

Julie's POV:

Julie's POV:

Luckily for me Sofia has the same first period class as I do. Unfortunately, as we arrive we find that Charlie does too. He sits in the back, with an uninterested face as he stares out the window.

Sofia and I sit in the middle and I watch as she greets her friends Ximena and David. She introduces me and I shyly smile. I haven't really socialized since Will died. I couldn't bear the way people looked at me nor ignore how awkward our conversations would get, as if his death defined me as the girl with a dead brother rather than regular old Julie. It was too much. So I did what I found I did best, distance myself. It was lonely to say the least. But I think it drew me closer to mom and John. I also like that no one in this school knows about Will, for now I'm just the new girl and nothing more.

Throughout class I can't help but notice three things. First is that everyone in class are close with each other, well except for Charlie. With that in mind, the second thing is that he doesn't seem to talk to anyone nor does it look like he's bothered by it. And third, he's smart, but in an obnoxious way. He may not talk to anyone but he definitely shares his opinion in class. He questions the teacher about what we are going to learn and how accurate it will be, almost questioning in a daring way.

There's a vibe I can't really shake off, that each time he talks, everyone kind of wishes he would shut up. Like they don't really like him or something. Which is kinda strange. In my old school, Charlie would definitely be a part of the most liked guys in the school. I'll admit, though not aloud, he is good looking. Like really good looking. Dark hair, light hazel eyes, tan skin, tall and broad shoulders. Definitely like he came out of a magazine or something. But it's refreshing to see that pretty-privilege doesn't get by here. His arrogant attitude must've really done it for him. One interaction with him and I don't even stand him either.

The day continues and Sofia guides me to my following classes. By lunch time I find myself a little overwhelmed. My social battery has definitely drained completely. Sofia and her friends are nice, but love to talk a lot. I'm almost afraid they'll ask me why I moved here. What could I say? My brother died and it was too traumatizing to stay back home? Definitely not. I could lie and say John got a job opportunity here or my mom missed her hometown so much that we moved back. I debated between the two as I walked with the crowd heading toward the cafeteria. But as I arrived and watched the hectic room, I couldn't bring myself to go in. Was I being too dramatic? Will always said I had a knack for overthinking and right now it was weighing me down.

I turned my heel and walked away from the over-crowded room. Maybe tomorrow. As I continued to walk aimlessly through the halls I found the Library. A place where it had to be quiet. I entered. There weren't many people here. Some students were by the computers while a few by the books. I found an empty table and placed my bag on top. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. I unzip the smallest pocket on my bag and take out a granola bar, mentally thanking myself for putting it there this morning.