06| It's For the Better

Julies POV:

Julies POV:

"Hey cuz," I hear Charlie say. I turn to look and see Victor standing outside the door.

"Hey," Victor says. Charlie lets him in, and Victor and I lock eyes.

"Juliet," he says, "I didn't know you'd be here."

"Uh yeah," I respond. I stand up, my eyes wander to the microwave in the open kitchen where the time shines bright white. 1:43 A.M.

I didn't realize how late it has gotten. The good thing is that mom and John think I'm spending the night with Sofia so they're not up waiting for me to come home. My attention goes back to the two boys standing in front of me, an awkward tension building up. Maybe I should go home.

"It's getting late," I say.

"Oh, I can dro-"

"I'll drop her off," Victor interrupts Charlie. "I mean you're already home. I can drop her off on my way home, so it wouldn't be big bother for you."

Charlie gives him a look. "No, its fine, I can-"

"Victor can just take me," I say, not letting him complete his sentence, "besides right. You're already home, no point in going out."

"Are you sure?" Charlie questions.

"Of course," I respond, "can I just use bathroom really quick before we head out?"

"Yeah, it's down that hall," Charlie says pointing behind me. I nod and walk toward the restroom.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror I can't help but feel a bit embarrassed. My hair has become frizzy, and my liner has smeared at the corners. I wonder if Charlie noticed. Once I'm done freshening up, I begin to head out of the bathroom.

"Of course, I don't like her like that," I hear Charlie say. I stop my tracks. Are they talking about me?

"It sure doesn't seem that way. I mean why did you even bring her here? You never bring anyone here. And why did you go to the party? Especially knowing that it was Winston's party. Do you know how many times I had to apologize on your behalf just to cool him down. Jesus Charlie."

They are talking about me. Shit.

"Apologize? Why the fuck would you apologize on my behalf? I'm not sorry for anything. Also lower your voice. What if she hears us?"

With my hand still on the doorknob I close the door loud enough, so they hear me. I don't want them to know that I heard them. This seems like a sensitive topic, one I'm not sure I should even get in between. They stop talking and had I not just heard everything they just said I would've felt even more awkward once getting a visible glimpse of them. Very obviously arguing, and very terrible at hiding it.

"I'm ready," I say.

"Great, let's go." Victor says. I nod and walk behind him toward the door. I stop, before passing Charlie and say, "Thanks for tonight."