Chapter 59

A platform was placed in the center of Vaidor Square. Upon it stood the king's emissary, Raghad, and Kurzina. A large crowd had gathered around. It seemed that almost everyone in Vaidor had come. There were also people from other towns, all there to see Raghad and Kurzina.

The envoy unfolded a scroll and began to read its contents.

"Hear this. I will recount the sins of Edulis le Fay, a descendant of the witch Ygraine, who traveled through five villages and murdered thousands of people, hundreds of soldiers, and regent proxies sent by the king. He murdered missionaries in the Gudea jungle and burned the homes of the Gudea natives. He slaughtered the young children of Agade and dug up the graves of the dead. He even murdered six archmages who tried to stop him, causing great harm to Astania."

The people murmured.

"The Edulis? Is that true? I thought he was a saint."

"You're behind the news, my friend. The story is unmistakably true. Edulis slaughtered thousands of people."

"I heard it from an Erabu. He couldn't help but feel sick when he saw the villages covered in blood and guts. Far from being a saint, Edulis is a demon from hell."

The envoy continued.

Kurzina Le Fay and Raghad Le Fay, you have done a revolutionary job in defeating Edulis, the embodiment of evil, and you must be commended for your efforts. In particular, Kurzina Le Fay, who saved Agade's children by taking them to safety on a boat, and who used magic to defeat Edulis, is worthy of the highest honor, and in the name of the King, Yurmir Astania, I grant her a new estate with a medal. Kurzina, you will die and be buried in Saint Trisis, and your deeds will be recorded by the cadet and passed down from generation to generation."

The sergeant turned to Kurzina and offered her the medal. But Kurzina refused to take it. Even as she stepped up to accept the award, her face was not bright.

"Kurzina Le Fay, raise your head and accept the medal."

Kurzina's hand trembled.

"Kurzina Le Fay!"

Raghad poked Kurzina in the back. "Zina, what are you doing?"

Kurzina asked the envoy.

"Is it really... Edulis who killed six archmages?"

The envoy frowned. "Who else would do such a thing? Cut the nonsense and accept the honor bestowed upon you by the King!"

The crowd turned to look at Kurzina. She reluctantly accepted the medal, and the gathered crowd cheered.

"If it weren't for you, Kurzina, we would have been fooled by that Edulis guy."

"I'm horrified. Couldn't that have happened to Vaidor?"

Stepping down from the platform, Kurzina's heart was as heavy as a lead ball. She had done the right thing, she thought. She thought she'd done what she had to do for the safety of her people, for her faith in Lutea, and for justice, but she shuddered at the outcome.

The king is in league with the witch. Her research in the secret libraries of the Fey family proves it, but the king has honored Kurzina far more than she expected as a result of killing Edulis. To be buried in the Heroes' Cemetery is the highest honor one can receive in Astania. It's a strange reward for killing a murderer.

And no one can explain the questions that remain: who are the children left dead in the ruins of Rekabi, who killed the six archmages, and so on?

"Long live Kurzina!"

"Hero! Please look after us!"

The increased authority and the praise from the people made Kurzina uneasy. The path of a goddess is supposed to leave nothing in its wake, nothing but a faint scent and nothing in its wake.