Chapter 178: In Agreement

Start from the beginning

Gra Lux sighed. "Put bluntly, yes," he responded, his tone dropping but an octave lower. It was clear he didn't appreciate the way Thorne said it, but he brushed it aside and continued, "We decided to destroy the rogue ship to prevent war. Following that incident, Marix and his cohort began to openly defy me in strategic meetings. It wasn't long after the Battle of Hytal that I received word of his plots. I prepared contingencies to deal with him and ensure my own safety, but it seemed that his influence had much more reach than I expected. I loathe to admit this, but I fear for our fates had your people not rescued us."

Thorne paused and considered Lux's revelations about Marix's defiance and the subsequent coup. "It seemed Marix's ambitions extended far beyond mere military aggression. Could you elaborate on the extent of his influence within the Empire? Specifically, how did his views resonate with the military and civilian sectors?"

"Marix was not a popular figure until recently. It is my belief that his fame was a result of opposition to me, rather than allegiance to him. We identified your assistance to Mu as critical to their defense. I preferred to continue the offensive until Mu surrendered, before suing for peace with the Mirishials. Marix, on the other hand, thought to tackle the issue at its source by, as we've seen, attempting to strike at convoys," Lux answered.

Thorne listened intently while his aides jotted down some notes.

Lux continued, "You see, our people are prideful. Our Empire is one built on conquest, and we have never known defeat. And so, most of us grew complacent – Marix especially." He laughed, as if grappling with the irony of his situation. "It seems that our own propaganda ended up working against us. Our people could not fathom the concept of defeat, so they clung to Marix's baseless nonsense, and will soon reap the consequences of this folly."

He took a break, sighing once more. "To answer your question, his influence is as strong as the prevailing sentiment. Naturally, this is stronger among our warriors. The civilian sector, in contrast, cares more for their livelihoods. They are good Gra Valkans, indeed, but nationalism can only go so far when their families are shattered and the cost of basic goods climb to heights we've never seen before. For now, the people agree with him, but it won't be long before they start turning against him. The losses of tens of thousands of men and entire Conquest Fleets – this is too significant to be suppressed, even with heavy censorship and propaganda."

This time, Thorne didn't simply nod. He looked toward Dr. Fieldstone, as if he were now broaching a topic where their disciplines intersected. "Given Marix's influence, particularly within the military ranks, how stable do you judge the loyalty of your forces to be? And, should the situation evolve favorably, what kind of framework do you envision needing to..." he paused, making eye contact with Gra Cabal briefly as he continued, "reassert control and re-establish governance in line with your principles?"

"You will find that I am in agreement with what you truly seek, Colonel," Gra Lux answered without hesitation. "My people – military included – are loyal to the Empire alone. They will do what is best for the Empire. Their current dedication is a complete and utter travesty, built upon Marix's misguidance. They truly believe that his leadership is better for the Empire than my own, but they don't realize how ill-prepared we are to face a contemporary force with superior technology to our own. When they do realize, they will seek a leader who understands this," he explained, turning to Cabal. "If you seek such a leader, I entrust my son to the task."

"Your Highness?" Thorne asked.

Cabal eyed the man. It was clear the Americans were using him, hoping to turn him into a sympathetic puppet, but what other alternative was there? Sure, there were others in the Empire who understood the technological discrepancy and championed peace, like Cielia, but none were as historically popular as he was among the citizens. Puppet or not, this was still the best possible path for him and the Empire, considering that Marix's ambition extinguished all other routes.