Chapter 58: Princely Arrival (2)

February 4, 1640
San Diego, California

Drowsiness beset Cabal as the powerful effects of boredom kicked in. Dissociating his vision, his mind tuned out the videos as he began to daydream about flying one of those speedy jets from earlier. The lectures on road laws and pedestrian responsibilities turned into mumbled garbles.

Dallas was similarly affected. He paid little attention to the videos, planning to rely on Cielia — who was intently paying attention — to guide him should knowledge of the rules be necessary. Gesta continued to remain professional, taking notes on a provided composition book and pen as he followed along.

The waves of videos finally ceased, aptly timed with a knock on the front door. Cielia got up to open it, revealing Nomura outside. "Hello, Agent Nomura," Cielia said.

"May I come in?" He asked.

"Yes, yes of course," Prince Cabal said. "We've just finished watching the videos."

Nomura clasped his hands together. "Thank you, Your Highness." He shifted his eyes, looking at each of the Gra Valkans. "Now, I'm sure you're glad to be done with the lectures. The rest of the day is free for you all, although I'll need a schedule — by tomorrow morning at ten o'clock — for the San Diego activities you desire to participate in for the coming days. I will also leave these," he said, holding up menus and placing them on a table, "for dinner. Just note the items you want and the hotel staff will bring them to you."

"Got it!" An upbeat Cielia replied, ready to coordinate everything for the group.

As Nomura prepared to leave, Prince Cabal stopped him. "Oh, a question, Agent Nomura."

"Yes, Your Highness?"

"How will the exchange work?" Cabal asked, gesturing toward a bag of gold bars.

"Right. I'll have someone appraise these. We can then offer you money equivalent to the local value of the bars." Nomura then explained, "Keep in mind that you won't be able to purchase any educational textbooks without a permit or proof of residence. One of the videos should have a list of items that you can and cannot purchase."

Prince Cabal suppressed his disappointment, instead asking, "Would there be any way to lift these restrictions?"

Nomura shrugged, "I apologize, Your Highness. I wouldn't know. I think you may wish to bring this up with our Secretary of State and President when you meet them in a couple weeks."

"Alright then. Thank you, Agent Nomura," Cabal said politely.

After Nomura left the room, the Gra Valkans immediately began to plan their short vacation, analyzing tourist pamphlets as they considered places to go.

Recalling what Gesta had said earlier about waiting for more information, Cabal turned to him and asked, "Gesta, which of these events do you think will be the most informative?" The group encircled Gesta as he reviewed the documents.

Gesta thumbed over suggestions provided by the pamphlet, mentally striking ones that provided little to no information. "Hmm... Your Highness, I believe that we should visit the ports to analyze shipment traffic and gain information about their economy; visit the USS Midway Museum to learn about their naval doctrines; and see the Air and Space Museum to learn about their aircraft and technologies."

"Do we have more time after doing this?" Cabal asked.

Gesta looked up at Cielia, who answered, "Yes. We will have a day's worth of time to potentially explore the city and learn more about the local culture, maybe even interact with some people!"