Chapter 14 - 17 Years Old

Start bij het begin

"What! We did! Justttt with a little help from Tullie." Jesse speaks up.

"I knew it! You guys can't cook pancakes!" I say, getting up and start chasing them around the apartment.

We all start laughing.

~~~~~~~

Once we arrive at Bondi, we set up towels, beach chairs, and coolers in South End, where the surf is the best. It wasn't too busy today, thankfully.

"Oh, Lizzy, could you go up to the tower and ask for an extra towel?" Mouse asks.

I start walking to the tower. I knock, then open the door. When I walked in, I felt a freezing cold liquid pour on top of my head.

I stand there, frozen, while everyone laughs. I scoff.

"What the hell is this??" I say, wiping my eyes.

"A birthday prank, of course!" Beardy says from the other end.

"Who's idea was this?" I stare around.

Everyone points to their left. Who was on the left? Jethro.

"DAMN IT JEFF!" I say, running up to him.

He runs out of the tower as I chase him down the sand. I hear laughter coming from the tower. This is not how I wanted to start my morning.

We get to the waters edge, and I push Jethro in the water. He comes out of the water, and he does not look happy.

"Elizbeth! You get back here right now!" He says.

He starts chasing me so run to Mouse and Jesse. Jesse has his phone out recording.

I remember something my mom told me. So I drop down to the ground and curl uo in the ball.

Jethro trips over me and face plants in the sand.

"What the hell was that?!" He says.

Mouse and Jesse double over laughing.

"Mom always said, if someone in chasing you, to drop like a sack of rocks and kick them in the balls. But don't worry, I spared you."

"This time." I say evilly

"Thanks?" Jethro says while wiping sand from his eyes.

I giggle, then grab my surfboard, and head out.

~~~~~~~

We get back home, laughing and talking from conversations started in the car.

"Okay, Lizzy! Sit on the couch. We have something very special for you!

I sit on the couch, closing my eyes with my hands, Jesse sits next to me to make sure I don't peek.

I feel something being placed on my lap.

"Open," He says

I open my eyes. It's a surfboard! My surfboard was beaten up and too small for me.

"Oh my God! I love it Mouse!!! Wait... Roxy? Is that?" I look up at Mouse

He nods.

My mom. My mom's name was Roxy.

"Mom had a special surfboard in the back attic space. Here." He hands a note to me.

I open it. It reads

Dear Elizabeth Rose Jenkinson,

If you're reading this, I'm probably gone by now. I want you to know that the very last thing I though about before I passed away was you two kids. I would give the whole world for you kids. This surfboard, was hand made by Koby Abberton. Koby and I went to high-school together. When I was diagnosed with cancer, we ran down to the shop to get this personally made for you. Hence, the K.A initials on the back. Now, don't feel like you can't use this surfboard because it's special. I want you to use this everyday of your life until it breaks. Every square inch of this surfboard was hand designed with love. I wanted you to have this surfboard on your 17th birthday. I was 17 when I met your father. As you know by now, he is not a good man. This surfboard indicated good luck in your love life. It's never guaranteed when or who the love of your life will come into place. But I have hope for you. Stay strong, confident and most importantly, stand your ground and don't let a man push you around or tell you around. I learned that the hard way. Life will throw obstacles your way all the time, and sometimes you can't dodge them. So you have to fight them. Defend yourself from the obstacles. And if you get hurt, pick yourself back up and brush it off. That's what I did, and I died a happy woman. I have faith in you Elizabeth. Go live it. Live your life the way you want to. I love you so much, never forget that.