Chapter 6 - Penguins

Once Emma's mom dropped me off back at our apartment, I dashed inside, slamming the door behind me as I went.

I ran into my room, not even acknowledging Mouse sitting on the couch. I rummaged through my desk drawers, trying to find a certain book. My year book.

"How was the beach with the girls, Liz?" Mouse says hesitantly, walking into my doorway.

"Yeah, yeah, it was alright. I can't talk right now, sorry!" I say, still scurrying through all my drawers and shelves.

"Uhh. Everything alright there?" Mouse says genuinely confused now.

"Yep. Perfect. It's never been better, actually!" I say. "Yes! Found it!" I say, holding the book to my chest.

"Alrighty then. I'm gonna go make dinner on that note." Mouse says, walking away.

I go through every page, trying to find him. "Oliverrrrr, Oliver Huxley." I say my finger, running over everybody's names. "Come one, come on, where are you." I say, running out of hope.

I sigh and plop on my bed. He's not in the book. "Oh wait? That's him! That's him!" I say  avidly. "Thank the heavens!!"

I hear Mouse giggle from the kitchen, puzzled. I don't have any classes with him, except study hall. I never paid attention to the kids in study hall, but I am definitely trying to find him now.

I wanted to run out into the kitchen to tell Mouse, but I knew if I came home with a boyfriend, he would kill me. He's protective. I'm 16, and he still doesn't let me make my own decisions.

~~

It's now Sunday morning. I don't  have much going on today. Most likely, I'm just going to go surfing. That's all I do when I'm bored.

Mouse was on duty today, and I asked to go with him so I could surf. I packed a bag with snacks, clothes, thongs, sunblock, a hat, and surfboard wax just in case. I grabbed my surfboard from the closet, and we headed to Bondi.

It's still summer out, but it's not to hit today. About 25⁰C.  But unfortunately, that still means wearing sunscreen. Gah, I hate sunscreen. It's sticky and gross. But it's not an exception.

"Alright, I'll be in the tower if you need me. Be safe, please." Mouse says as he walks up the stairs to the tunnel.

"Okay, I will!" I say excitedly, running down to the crystal clear water, glistening in the sun.

The wayer feels so good every morning. The ocean is like the medicine of life. It fixes everyone's problems! Anyway, I paddled out my hair down and flowing.

I saw a wave forming, and I knew I had to get this one. I paddled hard and got on top of the wave. I'm not good with tricks yet, but I did a few 360s and headed back out for another wave.

There are quite a few surfers out today, so you have to be extra careful in the surf today. But with my luck...

In the middle of a wave I was catching, a bloke came and nearly ran into me. I panicked and steered right, trying to get away from him. I was so focused on the guy that my foot slipped and hit the tip of my board, and I nose dived, putting my hand out to catch myself. My arms were tense and slammed against the bottom of the ocean.

A stinging pain shot up my shoulder and down my arm. The pain was intense. My arm was not only in pain, but the pins in needles in my hand were worse. I didn't know what to do.

It was at this point that I realized I'm still under water. I pushed off the bottom of the raw ocean, and my head popped back up above the waves. I gasped for air.