A Step Too Far (Volume 7 Chapter 7)

WARNING: THIS CHAPTER GETS VERY DARK.

IF YOU'RE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH DESCRIPTIONS OF GORE / BLOOD, & VIOLENT CONTENT, I HEAVILY ADVISE NOT READING THIS CHAPTER.

---------------

Atlesian trucks race across the snowy heaps of Solitas. Inside the driver's seat was an Atlesian Knight, autopiloting the vehicle towards the launch site. Seen sitting next to the Knight though, were Apollo and Heath, as the two boys peer out through the glass windows.

A few days have passed since the 1st day of missions. The group was still getting accustomed to their new jobs and responsibilities as huntsmen, clearly evident from the massive eyebags underneath Heath's eyes. The boy, although possessing vast amounts of energy, he still has his moments.

But for Apollo, this was his first official assigned mission since becoming a Huntsman. Yet, the prospect didn't feel foreign to him. He wasn't nervous.

He, alongside Team RNJR, had been doing missions during their travels through Mistral, anyway. They'd rest up at a village, the villagers would recognize them as huntsmen, they'd ask for favors, and they'd do said favors and receive rewards to help them on their travels.

However, as much of an opportunity as this was, he didn't seem too pleased. He had other priorities in mind he'd like to take care of, preferably over missions.

...

"You look down in the dumps."

He turns to Heath. The pyromaniac was grinning from ear to ear.

Apollo: Heh, you're one to talk. Did you check your reflection this morning?

Heath: That's-!

He stops himself from yelling.

Heath: That's because of yesterday's mission. It went longer than estimated...

He lets out a yawn, causing Apollo to snicker.

Apollo: Don't fall asleep on the job on me, man.

Heath: Easy for you to say! You haven't gone on any missions at all since we became huntsmen!

Apollo sighs and nods.

Apollo: Yeah yeah, I know. Sorry for that.

Apollo falls silent and turns to peer out the window once again. Heath glances at him with a sketchy look.

Heath: I... know you've been taking care of something personal, but could it really hurt you to tell us what it is?

Apollo remained silent.

Heath: Like, I get it, personal stuff. But... it's starting to get worrying. 

Apollo faces Heath.

Apollo: How so?

Heath: It's just... I don't know what's going through that head of yours these days. I don't like that.

Heath shuffles back and leans on the door. 

Heath: It's like something's changed with you, man. It's not just me who feels this, either. The rest of the gang does, too.