☠︎︎🩺 eighteen

༒︎Damon
***

He stood out in the rain, looking up at me. I don't say anything as I continue to look at him silently.

The way the rain wet him and his clothes. Watching his shirt begin to stick to his skin, his eyes stuck only on me. I could tell he had something to say to me, but I looked the other way.

"You are human, so you can get sick from the rain." He tells me, and I remain silent. "Why are you out here?"

I don't say anything because me bringing it up to him would accomplish nothing.

"I just want to be out here, alone. You...being here, disturbs me."

"I always disturb you even when I'm doing absolutely nothing." He chuckles, and I look over my shoulder at him again.

I saw his eyes become crestfallen as his lips part to speak, only to close again.

"Elio...told me that you think you saw your brother."

My eyes narrow on him, turning all the way around to him. He wasn't looking at me the same way and I could tell he was going about this differently.

I decided to not...lash out at him, nodding.

"Yeah...I think I did." I admit, my hand tightening on the railing. "It doesn't matter though. I will never...be able to see him again. It was by chance, and there is no guarantee I will see him again. Elio got in the way of me knowing for certain...and then you appeared."

Aleksandr nods slowly, and I could tell that he questioned if he should even ask me anything.

"How did he look?"

I sigh, leaning against the balcony rails as I close my eyes.

Remembering his grey eyes similar to mine...he looked kind of good. Healthy...but not as healthy as he could've been.

Taller than the vampire he was beside...but there's no guarantee that is him.

"He looked...good." I respond, lowering my head. "He looked fine, but he didn't look as good as he could've been. That's what drives me insane."

My heart began to race in a panic because that could've been him. I haven't seen my brother in years...he was a child when I saw him still. He should still be a child now...almost an adult. He was five years younger than me, so that makes him eighteen right now.

No...he's an adult now.

"What is the longest most vampires go...keeping their pets?" I ask him.

I saw Aleksandr's eyes lower, walking towards me. He grabbed my hand and I pulled it out of his.

"Answer me." I insist more harshly, wondering why he thought that would make me feel any better.

"The longest most vampires can go with a pet they bought is only a year. Almost all vampires...like to try an array of options. Very rarely...will they keep their pet for more than a few months." He tells me warily, my eyes narrowing on him...there was more. "On average...three months."

I just look at him, and I saw that he was scared for my reaction. Except I had nothing.

That now told me enough.

That couldn't have been him then.

He was sold years ago, so that means he is already...

"You have to come inside, please-."

"I fought and fought to protect him. Jerome was all I had. If what you're saying is true, then he's already dead." I gasp for air, stepping back as I already felt my back dig into the railing. "I stayed alive and fought just for this to be my punishment? It was all pointless, me living, was pointless! I couldn't even protect the one person who was a part of me. I can't do anything right, I'm wasting my time living."