» thirty five

"AFTER HOURS"

IN THE HEART of the settlement, Maria guided Ellie towards the cafeteria where the kids of the townsfolk had gathered for an evening of crafts

IN THE HEART of the settlement, Maria guided Ellie towards the cafeteria where the kids of the townsfolk had gathered for an evening of crafts. Maria said it would be a good way for Ellie to perhaps make some friends. Meanwhile, Joel and Cindy followed Tommy toward the bar. Once again, a way to sort of get talking to people again after being so isolated for so long.

The bar did exude a welcoming atmosphere. Everyone seemed nice. Tommy sat at the bar, Joel at his side, and Cindy at Joel's. Tommy raised a hand in greeting to the bar's occupants, only 300 people in the town, so he probably knew everyone there.

"I'll get y'all some drinks." Tommy said, waving at the bartender, who gave Tommy a simple nod before grabbing three cups.

Cindy jumped a little when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned, coming face to face with a girl, probably only a couple years older than herself.

"Hi, sorry, didn't mean to scare you." She smiled at Cindy. "I'm Becca."

"Cindy." Cindy introduced.

"Me and my friends were just wonderin', you know, since you're new around here and all, if you'd wanna come sit with us. A nice warm welcome." Becca suggested.

"Uh..." Cindy trailed off awkwardly, glancing at Tommy and Joel.

"You go ahead, Cindy." Tommy said. "I'll keep Joel company."

She looked over at Joel, unsurely. She didn't know about going by herself.

"You don't have to." Joel muttered, reading her face.

"Let her go, Joel." Tommy chuckled. "Y'all are safe here."

Cindy stood up uncomfortably, grabbing her drink to take with her. Becca guided her away and Cindy threw Joel one last glance as she was whisked in a different direction to a table of about five other people. Joel didn't like how one of the guys pulled out a chair for Cindy, patting her shoulder before sitting down beside her.

As the evening unfolded, the bar became a hub of conversation and laughter. Cindy engaged in casual conversation with those few townsfolk. Her natural humour and wit seemed to have her held hostage with them a little longer than she'd anticipated.

Joel, observing from the bar, couldn't help but feel a pang of discomfort as he noticed the same guy that pulled the chair out for her lean in and whisper something to her. Cindy leaned away a little, but chucked anyway at whatever he had said. Unwanted memories stirred within him, a silent reminder of their world where trust was a scarce commodity.