» seventeen

"LONELY DAY"

THE ABANDONED NURSERY lay dormant, shrouded in the ominous stillness of the underground tunnels

THE ABANDONED NURSERY lay dormant, shrouded in the ominous stillness of the underground tunnels. In the dim light, Joel, Cindy, Ellie, Henry, and Sam waited, their collective breaths suspended as they bided their time for the cover of night to cloak their escape.

Joel and Henry sat at one of the tables, eyes on Ellie and Sam as they engaged in a surprisingly spirited game of makeshift football with a deflated ball and a painted goal on the wall. Cindy sat across the other side of the room on the floor, flicking through some of those old comic books.

"If you were... collaboratin' to take care of him..." Joel began to Henry. "I shouldn't have said what I said. I don't know your situation. I'm not saying they should let it go, but... all things considered, seems kinda cruel to send a whole army after you for that."

Henry acknowledged Joel's words with a nod, appreciating the gruff apology. "You know I wasn't, uh, exactly telling you the truth before... about me not killing someone." Joel looked at him unsurely. "There was a man. A great man. He was never afraid, never selfish, and he was always forgiving. You ever met someone like that? Kinda man you'd follow anywhere. I wanted to. I would've. But, uh, Sam... he, uh, he got sick - leukaemia. Yeah, anyway, there was one drug that worked, and woah, big shock, there wasn't much left of it. And it belonged to FEDRA. And if I wanted some, it was gonna take something big. So I gave them something big. That one great man. The leader of the resistance movement in Kansas City. And Kathleen's brother." Henry explained. "You still think they should take it easy on me? Or, am I the bad guy." He said and Joel didn't answer. "I don't know what you're waiting on, man, the answer's easy. I am the bad guy because I did a bad guy thing. But you get it though. You might not be her father, but you were someone's." Henry said. "See, I can tell."

They fell into a contemplative silence, the weight of shared struggles lingering between them. The silence stretched, their thoughts heavy. Henry's eyes wandered across the room, landing on Cindy, who was still engrossed in flipping through those few books, oblivious to the conversation on the other side.

"W-what about her?" Henry asked.

Joel followed his line of sight to the girl across the room. His eyebrows furrowed, sensing a shift in the conversation. "What about her?"

"She's, uh, she's pretty, huh. Are you two, like, you know... involved?" He asked.

Joel's jaw clenched involuntarily, a ripple of discomfort coursing through him. His hand formed a subtle fist in his lap, and his jaw clenched tightly. He knew exactly where this was going. "No. We're not... involved."

"Good." Henry smiled. "I wouldn't mind gettin' to know her a little bett-"

"Ain't exactly the time or place for dates, dontcha think?" Joel interrupted. His response was guarded and tense, outwardly trying to divert him away from the topic. Away from Cindy.

"Oh, no, I get that, I do. It's just that in this world where there's not much beauty anymore, it's hard not to take notice someone that's so gorgeo-"

Joel's nostrils flared. "Cindy's off limits." He interrupted, regretting the words as soon as they left his mouth. Yeah, real smooth, Joel, he thought. He cleared his throat. "Barely know you, is all." He attempted to make a smooth recovery, and he technically wasn't lying. They had only just met.

Henry observed Joel's unsure response, a sort of realisation dawning in his eyes. "Got it, man. Off limits."

Joel sighed to himself. He'd really gone and done it there. The moment hung in the air a little awkwardly. He glanced over at Cindy, who looked sort of peaceful at the minute. Well, that was until the football went flying at her and hit the wall right above her head, making her jump.

Her head shot up to see Ellie stood there laughing with her hands over her mouth, looking very guilty. "Fuck, Ellie!" Cindy laughed in disbelief and picked up the ball next to her. "What would you have done if it smacked me in the face and knocked my head clean off my shoulders?" She stood up and threw the ball back at Ellie, who dodged it.

"Probably laugh." Ellie chuckled.

"Hm, I'm glad to see you care about your dear old friend Cind." Cindy said and crouched down to the pile of books and comics that were beside her.

She picked up two of them and made her way over to Henry and Joel, sitting opposite them. She placed the books on the table, facing the men and put her hands on them.

"The DaVinci Code, or Lord of the Rings?" She asked. "I need something to read on the road."

"Lord of the Rings." Henry voted.

Cindy looked to Joel. "And what's your vote, Mr?"

"Lord of the Rings movies ain't bad." He grumbled. "Never read the books."

"Lord of the Rings it is, then." Cindy smiled, picking the books back up and heading back over to her bag, which was where she was sitting on the floor earlier. Joel watched her crouch down and stuff the book into her bag before zipping it up. He sighed.

"Not involved, huh." Henry smirked. Joel sent him a glare before standing up and snatching his gun from the table.

"We've waiting long enough."