» thirty four

"NOTHING ELSE MATTERS"

AS THE EMOTIONS settled, Maria took charge, guiding the group to the almost empty cafeteria

AS THE EMOTIONS settled, Maria took charge, guiding the group to the almost empty cafeteria. The scent of warmth and hot food wafted through the air, Cindy felt her mouth watering. Tommy and Maria guided them to a table and Maria excused herself for a moment whilst she grabbed them each a plate of food.

Joel, Ellie, and Cindy as they delved into their meals. It was heavenly. Cindy couldn't remember the last time she'd had a home cooked meal. God, she wanted to kiss whoever had cooked it up.

They were all silent as Tommy and Maria watched them scoff.

"There's more if you need it." Maria smiled.

"Thank you, Ma'am." Joel said, politely.

"Thank you, indeed." Cindy agreed, chugging some of her water.

"Been a while since we've had a proper meal." Joel said.

"Actually, I don't think I've ever had a proper meal." Ellie contradicted. "This is fucking amazing."

"Sorry." Joel apologised. "Ellie." He warned. "Let's mind our manners."

From across the room, a girl, maybe Ellie's age, or a little older, was stood watching them. Watching Ellie, who didn't seem happy about it.

"What?" Ellie snapped.

"What is wrong with you?" Joel questioned.

"What about her manners?" Ellie said.

"She was just curious." Maria smiled. "Kids around here don't usually look or talk like you."

"Right. Well maybe I'll teach them." Ellie threatened.

"Fuck, Ellie, relax." Cindy chuckled.

"I want my gun back." She said.

"They also aren't armed." Maria told her.

"You know what, uh," Tommy interjected, "I think maybe y'all got off on the wrong foot."

"She was gonna have her guys kill us." Ellie exclaimed.

"We gotta be real careful about who we let in this place." Tommy reminded her. "But it's all bark to scare of those who might wanna try us, is all."

Ellie stabbed her food. "You got a couple of 90-year-olds shitting themselves out there."

Cindy snorted and Joel scolded her. "Ellie."