» sixteen

"HEAVY IN YOUR ARMS"

AS THEY PREPARED to venture into the tunnels, Joel seriously couldn't stop himself from noticing Henry's attention drifting toward Cindy

AS THEY PREPARED to venture into the tunnels, Joel seriously couldn't stop himself from noticing Henry's attention drifting toward Cindy. He'd gone and sat beside her as she was loading her guns and preparing for their... exposition. Joel sat at the other end of the table, cocking his own gun a little louder than usual. He had no right to feel what he was feeling. He also had no right to earwig on their conversation, but there he was, intently listening to every word.

"So you ever been through tunnels before? Under any city?" Henry asked her.

Cindy didn't really pay that much attention, too focused on her guns, but she answered him nonetheless. "Not all that interested in the fuckin' intestines of a city. Probably should be though. It's come in handy now."

"Yeah." Henry chuckled. "So, uh, your neck... that what happened when your truck crashed? The shootout?"

"Mhm." Cindy replied. "One of those fuckfaces shot me. Joel patched it."

Of course, Ellie wasn't one to miss out on observing the dynamics at play. She noticed Henry's sidelong glances at Cindy, and the way his eyes would linger. But she also didn't fail to miss the growing tension in Joel's demeanor. The way he would occasionally glance in their direction quickly, his jaw clenching each time.

Once they were all prepared, they descended down the long, long flight of stairs. Henry lead the way. Sam and Ellie were right behind him and, exchanging notes on Sam's board and laughing. Cindy took it upon herself to linger at the back with Joel.

"So, what do you think?" She asked, lowly.

"'Bout what?" Joel responded.

"Henry. The plan. You like him?" She asked.

"He seems to like you." Joel grumbled.

"What?" Cindy furrowed her brows.

"How's your neck?" He changed the subject.

"Joel." Cindy pressed, but he didn't elaborate, just looked ahead. "What's wrong, Joel?"

"Nothin'."

"Are you sure? You've barely said a word to me since we met Henry and Sam."

"M'fine."

"Okay... well, if you ever wanna tell me what's wrong, because I know something is... I'll be waiting, big guy." He just looked at the floor. Strange, she thought.