» twenty

"NAÏVE"

CINDY LAY ON the floor on her back, her bag serving as an improvised pillow

CINDY LAY ON the floor on her back, her bag serving as an improvised pillow. The events of the night replayed in her mind, the echoes of gunfire, the screams, and the ominous growls of the infected still lingered. Joel joined her, lying down beside her, deep down knowing he did it then before Henry could claim the spot.

Joel settled on his side, facing Cindy. Weariness etched into every line on his face. He shuffled, getting more comfortable before letting out a sigh and closing his eyes. The silence hung between them, laden with unspoken questions.

"Joel..." He opened his eyes at the sound of his name leaving her lips in a whisper. His gaze met hers. She was still on her back but her head was turned to face him. "How long will it take to get to Wyoming? Walking, I mean." She asked.

"If we're lucky, just over two weeks. Probably a little longer." He answered.

Cindy nodded, absorbing the reality of their situation. "Two weeks, huh?" Wyoming felt both distant and elusive.

"Yeah." Joel said. "It'll take some time."

Cindy pursed her lips and they just laid for a moment. Neither of them actually stopped looking at the other. But it wasn't awkward this time. It was... content?

She quite liked being under Joel's gaze at the minute. He didn't look stern, or grumpy, but he did look deep in thought as he stared at her. She liked the flecks of grey in his hair. His moustache. The line between his eyebrows from his constant stoney face. He was very nice to look at.

She bit the inside of her cheek. Joel watched as her mouth formed a pout. Her plump lips pressed together. A stray curl from her head tickling her forehead. Henry had gotten one thing right. She was so goddamn beautiful.

Cindy was first to break eye contact as she rolled onto her side, turning her back to Joel and facing the worn out wall paper. "Goodnight, Joel."

Joel cleared his throat. "Night, Cind."

The silence stretched, neither uncomfortable nor indifferent. Their proximity lingered in the half-lit room, Joel let out a sigh, eyes trailing over her once more before he closed his eyes once again.

A loud crash made Cindy, Joel and Henry jolt awake the next morning. Cindy sat up and rubbed her eyes to see Ellie screaming and crying on the floor with an infected Sam attacking her. Her eyes widened and she jumped to her feet the same time as Joel and Henry.

Henry lunged for Joel's gun, getting there just before Joel could. Ellie continued to fight Sam off, but Henry pointed to gun at Joel before he could get to her. Cindy lunged forwards to help, but Henry fired a single shot at her feet, stopping her in her tracks.

"Henry!" She screamed in disbelief as Joel pushed her behind him.

Ellie continued to scream and Henry looked at her, then looked at Sam before shooting a bullet at him. The room went quiet as a puddle of blood seeped from Sam's head, his body falling limp and lifeless.

"Ellie." Joel said.

Henry visibly trembled as he muttered under his breath. The gun was still in his hand, it wasn't aimed at anything until Joel stepped forwards. He pointed it at him again.

"Easy, easy." Joel muttered. "Henry, gimme the gun."

"What did I do?" Henry choked. "Wha-what did I do?"

"Gimme the gun, Henry." Joel repeated.

"Sam." He sobbed.

"Gimme the gun, Henry. Gimme the gun." Joel said, softly. Henry's eyes welled up and he raised the gun to his head. "Henry, no!"

But it was too late. He pulled the trigger and collapsed to the floor.

"Oh, god." Cindy sniffled. "Ellie." She rushed forwards and helped Ellie up, pulling her into a tight hug. Ellie sobbed into her shoulder and Cindy stroked her hair.

It took them a while to dig the graves for Sam and Henry. The dirt clung to their hands, each shovelful more depressing than the last. Ellie was still sat inside.

Joel wiped some of the sweat from his brow. "Damn mess." He muttered.

Cindy nodded. "Yeah... a real mess."

Once the task was done, Joel leaned on his shovel, taking a moment before looking over at Cindy.

"You holding up okay, Cindy?" He asked.

She shrugged. It was definitely the saddest thing she'd seen in a while. "Been through worse. How 'bout you?"

"M'alright." He muttered.

Ellie approached, her eyes revealing the weight of grief she currently carried. She dumped Joel's bag and his jacket at his feet before crouching at Sam's grave and placing his note pad on it.

She stood again and turned to face Joel. "Which way's west?"

Joel nodded his head in the direction she asked for and Ellie began walking. Joel took his bag and jacket and slung them over his shoulder. He put the shovel on the ground and glanced at Cindy.

"C'mon." He nodded his head for her to follow.

Cindy picked up her own bag from on the floor but not before sliding her flannel around her shoulders.

It was going to be a long damn walk to Wyoming.