Departure From Camp, Forced Into Maryland

"So, I'd quite like to know what I'm involved in here," (Y/N) said, a backpack slung across his shoulder, his money in a duffel bag in his right hand. "What's the prophecy we're working with?"

"You shall sail the iron ship with Greed and Bone. You shall find what you seek, and make it your own. But fear for your life, entombed within stone," Clarisse explained. "Fail without friends, yet fly home alone."

"Huh," (Y/N) said. "Well, prophecy deciphering is never a good idea, so I suppose we better get on with it. So, where's this 'iron ship?'"

"No idea, but I doubt we'll find it this side of the sandbar," Clarisse said. "Come on."

"Alright, but where are we going?" (Y/N) asked. "Doubt there's going to be any iron ships for the taking in the Sound."

"No, probably not," Clarisse agreed, "which is why we're not going to the beach. First, we're hitting the airport."

"The airport?" (Y/N) asked. "You sure that's a good idea?"

"It's the fastest route," Clarisse justified, "and that damn kelp head isn't here, so Zeus shouldn't smite whatever plane we're on."

(Y/N) grinned a sarcastic grin. "Shouldn't, huh?"

Clarisse tsked. "I don't pretend to know Zeus's motives, so a 'shouldn't' is the best you're getting."

"Alright, but if you're expecting me to pay for it, you're getting economy class."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't like those storm clouds up top," (Y/N) said, looking out the floor-to-ceiling windows that showed the view of the runways. Dark storm clouds rumbled overhead, making (Y/N) wary of taking such a flight. However, he had already paid for the tickets and gotten through TSA, so he wasn't going to back out now.

"Yeah, but it gives us a chance to sleep," Clarisse said, "even if it is only for a couple hours."

"Yeah..." (Y/N) said, an uneasy feeling still in his gut.

"Gate A4, departing for Miami International, boarding now," the airport intercom sounded. "Gate A4, departing for Miami International, boarding now."

"Well, that's our cue," Clarisse said. "Let's move."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That was about an hour and a half ago. They sat on the taxi and runway for around half an hour before takeoff and had been flying through nothing but storm clouds since. Clarisse had managed to get some sleep, but (Y/N) had been awake since takeoff. He just kept staring out the window, leg shaking. He was still nervous.

Suddenly, a bright flash of light appeared from the side of the plane, causing (Y/N) to turn his head and close his eyes in pain. A thunderous boom sounded, followed by another. Looking back out the window, one of the engines below the wing was now smoking. The seatbelt light lit up for everyone on the aircraft as the pilot's voice came over the intercom.

"This is your captain speaking. Our apologies, folks, but if you look to your left, you will see an engine on fire. As such, it is needed to make an emergency landing. We will be doing our best to redirect to Thurgood International Airport. Please remain seated, and remain calm."

(Y/N) turned to Clarisse, shaking her awake. "Shouldn't smite us down, huh?"

Clarisse held her head, still groggy from having just been woken up. "What?"

"Lightning just hit one of the engines," (Y/N) said. "We're making an emergency landing."

"Ugh, lovely."

Children were screaming, but thankfully, most of the adults were still calm, though nervous. Every flash of lightning was causing some of them to jump in their seats. Other than the fact that one of the engines was on fire, it could have been confused for a normal landing.

When they had landed, (Y/N) and Clarisse both let out a sigh of relief. As soon as they were given the all-clear, they grabbed their carry-ons (including the duffel bag that (Y/N) had to pay extra for) and ran out of the plane, ready to head wherever they could that wouldn't get them stopped by the mortal authorities. The two kept running as fast as they could until they reached the passenger pickup area of the airport, the road dotted with yellow taxis and other cars.

From the entrance to the airport, they heard the sound of a Harley roaring, the loudest either of them had ever heard. (Y/N) found the sound familiar, but he couldn't quite place where, at least not until the sound of a road rage incident carried across the concourse. Then another, then another. There were now so many fights going on, it would put the UFC to shame.

The bike pulled in front of the two half-bloods, and (Y/N) suddenly remembered why the Harley sounded familiar. It was the exact same one he had seen outside the diner back in Denver. It was Ares's bike.

Said god was sitting in the seat of the bike, a small sidecar attached.

"Sorry, greedling," Ares laughed, "no room. Meet us at Gibson Island, if you can make it." Ares threw a bike helmet to Clarisse, who caught it in her hand. She climbed into the sidecar, grinning, as the two drove off. (Y/N) sighed, throwing his hand up into the air.

"Taxi!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forty minutes later, (Y/N) found Clarisse and Ares standing at part of a deserted section of beach. (Y/N) ran down the sandbar, exhausted due to lack of sleep and the constant weight on his back and his right arm.

"Ugh, alright, I'm here," (Y/N) said. "So, now what are we doing?"

Ares raised an arm to the ocean and the water started bubbling. A slight creaking noise could be heard shortly before the sound of a ship breaking through the waves came, a metal ship rising from the water. The moss and various oceanic debris fell off in chunks, revealing a name painted on the side: CSS Birmingham.

"Wait, CSS?" (Y/N) asked. "Not that I don't appreciate the help, Lord Ares, but I don't think I've ever seen a nation with that prefix on their ships."

"That's because it's not around anymore, punk," Ares explained. "Remind me, who lost the American Civil War?"

"The Confederacy, but...: (Y/N) started before putting the pieces together. "Wait, how are you giving us a Confederate ship?"

"They lost, so their higher-ups owed me a debt. They were part of the payment."

"Ah..." (Y/N) sighed. "I see..."

"Well, there's your ride through the Sea of Monsters. Do not fail me, Clarisse."

"Of course, Dad," she responded.

"Good." Ares disappeared in a flash of light, which (Y/N) and Clarisse turned from to avoid being disintegrated, as a wooden boat came ashore full of skeleton sailors. (Y/N) turned and looked, a disgusted look forming on his face.

"Lady Clarisse," one of the skeletons drawled. "We're to bring you aboard. Along with your friend here."

"Good," Clarisse said. "First order of business, you show us to our respective quarters, then we sail out at first light."

"Of course."