Chapter 28: What now?

Start from the beginning

I place her gently down on the bed before sliding the backpack off her shoulders, so she has it more comfortable.
For a few seconds I consider changing her but getting her out of that suit would be a lot of work and I think she needs to rest now. But I do take her shoes off and go to the bathroom to get a cloth and our little medical kit.

I settle down next to y/n on the bed and carefully clean the wound on her temple. There are little splinters of metal that cut her skin and I carefully remove them with tweezers. She doesn't move while I do so and I worry that she is really knocked out cold.

Once it's all clean and free from metal, I bandage it and bring the rest of the stuff back into the bathroom or throw it into the trash. Then I use my magic to put like a shield around our apartment, so no one can come in not even when I'm asleep.

I hop under the shower and change into my pajamas. It feels good to be back here and with y/n.
My eyes stay on her as I reenter the bedroom and I lift her body a little to pull out the blanket from underneath her. I get into bed next to her and gently kiss her forehead.

"Please wake up soon, sunshine, I need you." I whisper and cuddle into the blanket.

I don't sleep very well that night. Nightmares haunting me and the worry about y/n driving me insane.
What if she isn't just unconscious but in a coma or something similar to that?

I can't keep her here then, I'd have to bring her to a hospital. The thought scares me quite a lot. I can't protect us when she's away from me.

With all that in my mind, I am more than happy to see she moved the next morning. She isn't laying flat on her back anymore like last night. She's laying on her side, her face halfway smushed into the pillow and the blanket pulled up to her shoulders.
I let out a breath of relief and sit up a little, looking at her. She really managed to save me out of the hands of Hydra, all by herself. There aren't many people who could have pulled that off.

But she somehow did, with the help of that weird purple glowing thing. I need to ask her what that was when she is awake again.

But for now I let her sleep and move to the kitchen, making us some breakfast because I know we both need it after yesterday. I carry a tray back into our bedroom and place it on the nightstand on my side. Then I climb back into bed and gently kiss her healthy temple.

"Wake up, sleepyhead." I whisper and feel my heart beating in my chest, scared she won't wake up but for a different reason.

To my relief, she stirs awake and her eyes flutter open. For a few seconds she seems disorientated before her eyes settle on mine and a soft expression lays itself on her face that makes my body warm up.

"Good morning, daisy." She says in her raspy morning voice and yawns. I smile, she seems to be fine so far.

"Good morning, my sunshine. I made us breakfast because I would bet you're hungry." I say and as if on queue, her stomach makes a noise that makes me chuckle a bit. She grins and rolls onto her back.

"I am." She agrees and shuffles to sit up and lean against the headboard. I carefully grab the tray and place it on the bed between us.

For the next couple of minutes, we eat in silence and I am just happy that we are both alright after all of that shit.
Once we are all done eating, I put the tray away again and sit criss-cross, facing y/n. She glances around the room.

"Are you sure, we're safe here?" She asks, concern lacing her voice. I nod and take one of her hands, giving it a reassuring squeeze.

"I put a shield around our apartment for now. But you are right, we should maybe think about moving if we don't want to risk anything." I say and she nods, relaxing a bit.

"I thought Hydra didn't exist anymore." She starts and looks a little thoughtful.

I hum, so she noticed too that we were fighting against Hydra. I didn't tell her after I found out, mainly because I wasn't really sure at first and also didn't want to scare her.

"I thought that too but it looks like they were trying to reinvent themselves. And it also looked like your father led the whole thing..." I sigh and y/n nods. I don't mean that accusingly, it's not in the slightest bit her fault. I was just very surprised when I first saw Cole, that's all.

"He isn't really my father." She says silently and looks down into her lap, fiddling with my fingers.

"What?" I ask, unsure what exactly she means by that. I mean, I would totally understand if she would want to distance herself from that man after what happened.

"He told me after he caught me. He told me all about his plan and that he isn't really my father, he pretended to be because he wanted to get closer to you over me." She tells me, her voice getting silent and her eyes are glued to our intertwined hands.

I am not sure how to respond to that. On the one hand I am glad, that she doesn't have to process that her father is working for or with Hydra but on the other hand, I can imagine that it's really hard for her to process, that he lied to her about all of this.
Especially, after she had quite a hard time adjusting to that thought and accepting to it. And to top it of, the thought of being used to actually reach a different goal must hurt.

I gently raise my hand and cup her cheek with it, rubbing soft circles over her skin. Her head lifts and she looks into my eyes.

"That's a hard pill to swallow but you're gonna be okay eventually." I promise and she nods a little before leaning a little towards me and I change my position and sit down next to her, letting her cuddle into my side. One of my arms wraps around her shoulders while the other strokes over her hair. So much happened in so little time and there is still a lot we need to talk about. 

A/n: Y/n is well and they are back at the apartment, so all is fine.

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3