Chapter 23: Stone

Začít od začátku

I wiggle the stone a little to get it out of its place and when it's in my hand, I am surprised by how light it is. I thought a stone this size would be a little heavier but apparently not.
I turn around to my backpack and gently place the stone inside. It doesn't seem to melt anything, which I, for some reason, expected. It just lays there, glowing but not doing anything.

I put the cloth above it and close my backpack again. From the outside you can't see that I am carrying a glowing stone in my backpack, that's good. I put the backpack back on and turn to the door. Looks like I have to fight now.

As I'm approaching the door, I listen closely to hear if someone's coming but it's completely silent outside the door. I push the handle down but the door is locked and I roll my eyes at myself. Of course, the door is locked.
This stone seems to be very important, why would they leave it open for everyone to reach?

But how do I get out now?
I don't have a key and waiting until someone comes in doesn't feel right. Especially, because I have no idea when the next person is gonna come here and if I'm unlucky, they will come towards the evening. I don't want to and can't do that to Wanda.
The last time, her voice sounded so strange and not really like herself that I am worried that they did something to her brain. And I would bet that it won't help to wait even longer until I can get to her.

Maybe I can kick the door down? But that would be it with being unsuspicious. I need to find a different way.

I scan the door and my eyes stop at the area where I assume the lock to be. I could try to unlock the door with a bank card or so, like they do in movies but I highly doubt that it would work.
My hand traces over the material of the door, there has to be a way.
A sudden click startles me and I almost jump back but it was just the lock opening. The door doesn't move though and I can't hear anyone on the other side.

Was that my work?
Did I just open the door? But, I didn't do anything...

Carefully, I open the door and peak outside into the hallway. It's well lit but there is no one guarding this door or walking around on the hallways. I silently step out of the room and close the door, the lock clicking again, I can't get back in. Whatever this was, it is something I have to think about later, maybe when I'm not inside a Hydra base.

I look to my right and to my left, the hallway looking the same into both directions, not giving me any clue on where to go. Not that I expected to see signs that say 'this way to Wanda's cell' or so but I kinda thought it would still be easier to find her.

My orientation is long lost and I couldn't even tell from where exactly I crawled through the vent. I decide to go right, watching my steps, so I won't make any noise. Adrenaline pumps through my veins as I sneak down the hallway.
Mom never mentioned Hydra but from the news I know, she fought against them and that it's supposed to be a powerful organization.

And here I am, an 18-year-old, sneaking through a Hydra base all on my own.
All my senses are high and my muscles slightly tense, ready to fight if I have to. But the next hallway is also empty. Where are all those people?
Or don't they have a lot?
That would be good for my benefit, less people to fight against.

But I spoke too soon because as I round the next corner, I see a man standing around in the hallway, probably guarding something. It's just one man, so I am optimistic that I can fight him. I silently put my backpack down because that would only disturb my fighting. He's still not looking into my direction, so I use that moment to run up to him and sweep him off his legs. I haven't really trained a lot since we ran away, only a few times but seems like those movements are embraided into my brain and muscles. Muscle memory really seems to be a thing as it seems.

Before he can reach for a weapon, I kick it out of his hand and also remove the ear-piece he is wearing. I really don't need more people to show up here. My intention isn't to kill him but I can't just kick him a few times and move on, that would be too dangerous. So, when he gets up, I jump up and knock him back down in a swift movement. I cringe at the sound his body makes when hitting the floor but he doesn't move anymore, probably unconscious from hitting his head on the ground.

I look around the hallway, seeing two doors. One has a sign that says 'office' and I assume that's the door he guarded. Especially, after I found out that the other door leads to a small bathroom, similar to the one I used earlier. I drag his body into the bathroom and switch off the light. This way his 'colleagues' won't find him unconscious on the floor. I quickly go back to my backpack. If there is more than one person, I probably shouldn't leave my backpack unattended, considering what's inside.

So, I strap it tighter to me and head down the hallway. One person down for now, unknowingly many to go. 

A/n: Y/n has the power stone now...

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3