Chapter 19: Where to go?

Start from the beginning

My eyes move around our bedroom and stop on our dresser, the last drawer to be exact. I slowly get up and kneel down in front of it. I open it and let my fingers run over the fabric. Since we got to the UK, we didn't wear our suits anymore. I push the suit aside and look at the widow bites at the bottom of the drawer.

I have no clue, how many are left or were in there to begin with but it's the only thing I have so far. Apart from it being hard to get one, I also wouldn't feel good about handling a gun. But I still have my archery stuff, so maybe in combination with the widow bites, I might be able to fight well enough. Depending on how many people I have to fight. And if I could wear the suit, that would also be an advantage because I can move very well in it and, as far as I know, it's bulled proof.
At least at the spots where it isn't ripped but maybe I can fix those.

I pull out the suit and spread it out in front of me, looking at the damage. There are a few small scratches on it and a hole on the shoulder but not too big to fix it. Wanda has some sewing stuff here, so maybe I can try that. I search around and it takes me half an hour to find it. I've never done this before but I watched Wanda and she also explained it to me a few times, so I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out.

The rest of the evening, I spend fixing the suit and it might not look very great but it does its work and I am satisfied with the result.
Tomorrow is Friday, so I have a shorter day at work. I'm gonna use the weekend to try and free Wanda, even though I am aware that it is very optimistic to believe, that I'm gonna be able to do that within two and a half days.

But it allows me to have two days without having to think about work. But just in case, it takes longer, which I assume, I pretend to already be a little sick the next day, coughing a few times and trying to look sick. I'm not sure, how convincing it is but I'm doing my best.

A thought though that comes to my mind during work is, where are we supposed to go after I freed Wanda?
These people apparently know where our apartment is, so that's not safe anymore. A short wave of fear washes over me because I'm wondering how safe I am there but I ignore that thought, I have nowhere else to go. But so does Wanda.

We don't have any family or acquaintances here where we could crash. The only place we can go back to, is our apartment. Just the thought makes me uncomfortable but maybe Wanda has an idea, once I got her out.

The afternoon comes quicker than expected because even though I want to save Wanda, I am also a bit scared on what I should expect. I have no clue, who took her or why and how well they are equipped.

Back at home, I pack a backpack with snacks, water, a blanket, a flashlight and a portable power bank. I slip into my suit and it feels a little weird to wear it again as it reminds me of what happened in Germany but it's my best option right now.

The material is also warming me very well, so I just put a jacket on to make it less obvious. All I gotta do now, is wait for Wanda to reach out to me, so I can try to feel that pull again.

Around an hour later, she calls for me again and I wonder a little, why the times are so random and not at a certain time but who knows what goes on in the mind of these people.

"Concentrate, just follow my voice. Do what you did the last time." She says in a relatively calm voice that is impressive, considered she is held captive.

But I do as told and concentrate on her voice, tuning out everything around me. There's the pull again, it worked!

But instead of cheering and losing it, I tell Wanda I got it and that I'm gonna move now. That I have to get out of the apartment doesn't surprise me but as I am moving down the stairs, it starts to get a little harder, to keep the connection up. I don't wanna trip over my feet but I also don't want to screw this up. Additionally to that, the background noises on the street aren't helping either. I pull out my phone and open the compass I installed. It shows me to go East.

"Did you do a lot of turns?" I ask Wanda, not caring that people look at me weird because I'm literally talking to no one.

"At first yes but for a long while we didn't." She answers and I hum in response, not sure if she can hear that too. Sounds like they had to get out of the city first.

The pull is shortly disconnected when a group of loud chattering people walks by and I have trouble keeping the concentration up.

"I'm gonna take a bus into the vague direction it pulls me." I tell Wanda and she agrees.

We both know that this might be total bullshit but we also know, that if I am right, I can't walk the whole way, that would take way too long and exhaust me too much. I get into the bus and even though it at first drives into a different direction, it later on drives right and I am optimistic that this might work. Even when the connection disappears from Wanda's side.

But I still have my compass, giving me a little bit of information which direction I should be headed. Lets just hope this works out.

A/n: Do you think it'll work?

Thanks for reading and love to you all <3