Chapter 27 - The darkness

Sebastian POV

When I opened my eyes daylight had already infiltrated the bedroom, my vision was slowly adjusting to the intrusive light. I blinked away the blurriness. There was no way of telling when I had fallen asleep, it could have been hours ago. Nevertheless I did not feel well rested. Though I assumed it was still early, as Ominis lay in his bed still, the exact same way I'd left him last night. His stillness– only broken by a slow and steady sinking and falling of the duvet covering him.

My mind drifted off to wonder whether he'd remember much today, how much progress we potentially stood to lose in his waking hours. How much backtracking and redoing we would have to do today. It would be fine, we would stay here... For him. Always... For him. Because that was how it was decided.

Clanking sounds of cutlery and mugs sounded faintly from outside the door– along with the dimmed sound of muffled voices. I didn't know whether or not it would be safe to leave Ominis, not until I knew how his mental state would be today.

With dread weighing my every movement I crawled carefully over to Ominis, his steady sleeping indicating no sign of distress or restlessness. Gently, I placed my hand on his temple, brushing away the strands of hair that had fallen over his face. His pale skin, a canvas to his perfectl, yet randomly scattered moles, the morning sunlight bouncing off his complexity like the white sand on a beach on a sunny day. I'd love to show him the sea, now that he could finally perceive it. How he could finally put an image to the mighty sound of the waves crashing to the shore.

Ominis inhaled deeply, awoken from his slumber. He groaned comfortably as he turned to his back and faced me and then— opened his eyes. I held my breath.

The time seemed to stop, passing by like it was treading through tar, mocking the dreadful anticipation lingering in my chest. I waited for him to jolt or flinch away from me, for his eyes to widen and for him to scream in terror as he did not recognize my face.

But it didn't happen.

Instead, he smiled at me with a tired warmth.

"Who knew waking up in the morning could be this beautiful?" Ominis croaked through a groggy voice.

I huffed in relief, smiling down at him as he looked back up at me. Really looked at me. Tears of gratitude infiltrated my eyes, I had no words.

"Hello, Sebastian." He said again.

And the way my body reacted was beyond any illusion of control. I lunged my arms around him and buried my face into his neck, sobbing silently as a broad smile possessed me. His arms wrapped around me as well, and the reciprocated touch of him was enough for me to push myself deeper into his embrace. I wish I could have stayed here forever. I wish this would have solved everything. But there was still more... Way more that had to be dealt with.

I pulled back and looked at him, my hands cupping his cheeks. "Hello, Ominis." I half whispered through my sob-cracked voice.

The moment would have been perfect under different circumstances. The morning sun rays caused the specks of dust to dance around us in a glimmering performance. The same vision that had greeted Ominis as he took his blindfold off the other day. As if the sun yet again welcomed his sight.

I once again caressed his temple with my hand. "Since you seem to be remembering well this morning, care to tell me how you read my thoughts last night? Because I lay awake all night wondering whether I really had that little control of my thoughts." I smirked at him.

Ominis tilted his head to the side slightly, trying to hide a mischievous smile. "I... I suppose I should tell you... Though I don't quite understand it myself yet."