Chapter 1 - Lost in thought

Will (noun) 'wil: a firm desire or determination. A strong will to win. Ambition, Cunning, Determination... The serpent

The striking light from the summer sun struck my face as it peaked through the window of the humble bedroom. I groaned and turned my back to the sunrays that so rudely woke me up from my peaceful slumber. Having a good night's sleep was not something I took for granted anymore.

Ever since the battle with Ranrok and Fig's death the nightmares had been excruciating. I would wake up screaming and soaked in sweat. It had become so much of a problem that my roommates in Hogwarts reported me to Professor Sharp, who was the Professor in charge of the Slytherin house.

Sharp had given me a small vial of sleep potion to help me. He instructed me that only one drop into my water or tea should knock me into a deep sleep within the hour. He had also explicitly warned that the content was highly addictive and needed to be taken with caution and never more than three nights in a row. I took it for two months consecutively, until the vial ran out. When I had begged him for more he realized I had been abusing it. I made some shallow promise that I wouldn't do the same again and managed to get another vial from him. Which I took to J. Pippins and had him tell me how to make it myself. Oblivious as the man was, I managed to convince him it was for a school project. That we had all been given a secret potion and that the task was to figure out what potion it was and how to make it. What can I say?... I was desperate.

One other thing helped calm me down sometimes though. Ominis. He quickly caught on when I... Started struggling. Truth be told, he was annoyingly perceptive, but also my best friend. Sebastian had been a menace after fifth year, even more than he already was. He did manage to stay away from the Dark Arts though. Yet he was partying like an animal and getting into fights like he was a part of Harlow's crew. We still had our little trio, though it was more fragile than before. The past two summers he disappeared without telling me or Ominis a word. But we knew he went looking for Anne.

Both Ominis and I knew where Anne was and Sebastian was never going to find her. It made us feel horrible of course, but we had to respect Anne's wishes. During the battle with Ranrok I consumed Isidora's power, going against Professor Fig, the only man who was ever a father figure to me. He died being disappointed in me. And I did all of that for Sebastian, to save Anne. And he... Never thanked me. Not once.

After Sebastian killed his uncle, Ominis and I went to speak with Anne alone. That is when I convinced them not to send Sebastian to Azkaban. That same night I used the power I had consumed, to heal Anne. To my surprise it worked perfectly. I had been worried that it would render her emotionless and hollow, but no. The fullness of her face had immediately gone back and her eyes brightened. They were so much like... his.

Anne explained to us that she still needed time away from everything that happened, but that she believed, in time, she would be ready to face her brother again. Ominis and I had given her an approving nod before hugging her tightly and then she was off. She gave us the permission to use their home in Feldcroft, seeing that neither Ominis or I had any family we were eager to get back to. And that is how we ended up spending the last two summers there. Just Ominis and I. We figured, if Sebastian decided to come home we would be there for him as well, yet he never did.

It was the final day of summer and we were returning to Hogwarts this afternoon for our seventh and final year. I had just turned around in my bed from the sun shining through the small window, and was pulled out of my memories of the past by a groaned jawn in the bed next to me.

The man in the bed next to me fluttered his eyes open from his sleep, not that it mattered, his eyes bore no use to him. But they sure were beautiful in the most haunting way. I never told him that though, I was worried he would be insecure about it. Ominis proceeded to stretch his arms over his head, his milky skin tightened over his defined pectorals that were now revealed from the duvet being slightly pulled back. Speckles of small, dark birthmarks kissed his canvas with perfect misalignment. It was like a reversed starry night, except he was even more breathtaking. But he was my best friend and nothing could ever happen between us like that, I just admired him... Objectively, that's all.