proud

"You don't understand how you're ruining their lives. Not only are you robbing them of having a mother figure in their lives, but you're subjecting them to getting hated in the future. How many people do you think want to associate with a girl with two dads? How uncomfortable do you think Oliver's friends will be when they want to come over? Maybe just take a second to think about it, Jaxon."

Jaxon was rummaging through his bag, trying to find the keys to his house. He reached up to wipe the tears from his eyes as he finally found them. He unlocked the front door and walked in.

"Hey, Dad," He hears Lorianna. "I'm working on my speech. I really think that I'm gonna win this mock debate."

Jaxon nods his head and smiles. He blinks away the tears threatening to fall. "Good job, love. I can't wait to hear it. Where's Oli?"

"Over there," She points to the living room, his cartoons playing on the TV. "He fell asleep. But don't worry, we finished his homework before cartoons."

Jaxon chuckles a little. "Where's your Papa?"

"Upstairs," She furrows her brows at him. "Are you okay? You look kinda...off."

"Hm? Yes, love." He walks up to her, pressing a kiss on her forehead. "Work on your speech. I'm gonna go say hi to your Papa." Jaxon makes his way up the stairs.

Lorianna knows she shouldn't. But she's watched other adults in her life spiral, and it became a coping mechanism. She waits until her Dad is out of sight before following him up the stairs. She takes a seat next to their bedroom door.

"Shawn?" Jaxon calls out, his voice shaky.

Shawn appeared from the closet where he was hanging up laundry. "Hey, baby-" His face changes, and he reaches out to grab Jaxon's hands. "Hey...Hey, what's wrong?"

Lorianna peeks her head inside the room, watching as Jaxon collapses into Shawn's arms, letting out a loud sob. Shawn guides the couple to the bed, running his hand up and down Jaxon's back. "It's okay, love. Whatever it is, it's okay."

"Breathe with me, baby, okay? In and out, come on."

Jaxon gets his breathing under control, looking at Shawn in the eyes. He takes in a sharp breath, shaking his head. "I...I saw my dad today."

Shawn nods his head, reaching out to wipe under Jaxon's eyes. "What happened?"

"He asked why I hadn't brought the kids around more, and...he started telling me that...we're ruining their lives," Jaxon said, taking a staggered breath. "He said we're setting them up for failure...that if people give them a hard time, it's our fault because we didn't let them live a normal life."

"Ruining their lives? What, because we're gay?"

"He doesn't think that we're suitable to be their parents," Jaxon's voice trembles. "What if...what if they grow up to resent us? What happens when they get bullied because other kids know they have two dads at home?"

"Stop that," Shawn says, shaking his head. "They have always been proud of us. And...ruining their lives? Do you remember when Oli was first placed with us?" Shawn starts. "He couldn't sleep...he wouldn't talk...and now it's almost impossible for that kid to shut off."

Shawn pushes some of Jaxon's hair out of his face. "You read him that story that one night, and you made him laugh and ask questions, and he finally fell asleep. He woke up that next morning, and he spoke to you, spoke to us."

Jaxon sniffs and nods. Shawn continues. "And when Lorianna came to live with us? She was so broken and scared. You let her vent to you when no one else would. She confided in you, and you made her feel safe. And you continue to make her feel safe and wanted. You can't possibly think in any way that this is ruining them."