33.

Gavin follows Shawn out of the kitchen. "And, he works at a really nice ass company. He's making hella money. Oh-, Did I mention he only lives like thirty minutes from us? He's gonna try and come around more often. He's having a family reunion soon and wants me to meet his family-."

Shawn smiles as he sets down the two glasses of water on the table for the two customers. "Enjoy your lunch," He says.

Gavin follows him as he makes his way back to the kitchen. "I haven't decided if I'm gonna go yet. That's gotta be so awkward. But Chantel will be back today and I was thinking she could tag along...And maybe you and Jaxon cause-."

"Gav!" Shawn interrupts.

Gavin looks up at Shawn, furrowing his brows. "What?"

"I'm at work, Gavin. Can we talk about this later?" Shawn asks.

"Okay but...Just say that you'll come to the family reunion. You and Jaxon, come on. I need you there." Gavin sighs. "Please."

"I have to think about it. What day?" Shawn asks as he reads the ticket before picking up two different plates to deliver to the customers. "I have therapy and Jaxon has tutoring so I gotta see if I can."

"Friday. Just say you'll come."

"I'll text you after I get home. Now, can I please?" Shawn holds up the plates and shrugs. "Can I deliver these customers their food?"

"Yeah," Gavin chuckles and smiles. He pats Shawn on the shoulder twice. "Gotta go. See you later!"

**
"Baby, you home?!" Shawn opens the front door, peering into the apartment. He sets his bag down and lets out a sigh, grabbing his phone from his back pocket.

Jaxon skips into the kitchen, smiling at Shawn. "Yes, I am." Jaxon watches as Shawn locks the door behind himself, immediately picking up on his attitude. "How was your day? You seem...Off."

"Wow, thanks, babe." Shawn jokes. "I'm fine. Just Gavin talking excessively about his dad. I mean, he talked my ear off for hours, and as much as I love him...It's kind of pissing me off."

"What, why?" Jaxon steps forward and unzips Shawn's jacket. "I thought you guys were like...Brothers or whatever."

Shawn's eyes follow Jaxon's hands and he nods. "No, yeah. We are just...I don't know. I know it'll sound stupid but I guess I feel kind of jealous. Or, not jealous but just...Envious."

"Envious is a synonym for jealous...But go on." Jaxon smiles.

"It's just because of all of the shit happening with me and now Gavin's dad showed back up. It's so stupid though, I mean Gavin has wanted to get close to his dad for years. I feel so stupid."

"You're not stupid, love. It's normal human behavior. Especially because you've been friends with Gav for years. I think it's just stemming from your fears and anxiety. You're going through all of this in therapy. Nothing to be ashamed about."

Shawn tilts his head at Jaxon and smiles. "Thanks, babe." Shawn leans down and kisses Jaxon twice. "He wants us to go to his family reunion with him."

"His family? Has he ever met them?"

"When he was a child." Shawn steps out of the way to find something to snack on.

Jaxon follows him into the kitchen and shrugs. "And why does he want us to go?"

"Be a buffer. He's bringing Chantel and, I guess we're close enough to where he wants me to go as well." Shawn grabs a string cheese from the fridge.

Jaxon nods his head and lets his eyes wander aimlessly for a few seconds. Shawn notices this, crossing his arms and kicking Jaxon's foot with his own. "Baby? You alright?"

"Yeah, it's just," He takes a slow, deep breath. "Are we going as Shawn and Jaxon...Or as...Shawn and his friend Jaxon?" Jaxon asks.

Shawn purses his lips and stares at Jaxon for a few seconds. "Uhm...I dunno. I'm pretty sure Grant knows about us. I mean, he's known me since I was fifteen, so."

"And the rest of his family?"

"We'll play it by ear." Shawn sets his food down and smiles, stepping forward. "Anyways...How was your day?" He reaches down and grabs Jaxon by the waist.

Jaxon smiles, placing his hands on Shawn's chest. "It was fine. I finished that long-ass essay I was complaining about. Plus, I'm done with tutoring for the week so I'll be free."

"Good job, baby." Shawn leans in to kiss him again. "So, do you wanna go on Friday?"

"If it means Gavin will be comfortable, then yes."

"Sweet, he'll be so happy to hear."

**

Gavin smiles widely as he sees Chantel's car pull into their driveway. He watches as she turns off the car and gets out, immediately running up to him. "Hi!" She smiles. "I missed you so much!"

Gavin smiles as he wraps his arms around her body and lifts her off the ground. "I missed you too, beautiful." Gavin sets her back down and leans in to kiss her. "How was the drive back?"

"It was fun!" Chantel smiles as she reaches down and grabs Gavin's hands. "But more about you! How has it been with your dad so far?"

"Rocky...But also kind of really nice."

"Really? That's great!"

"He told me he went to rehab and he's been sober for two years. And he wants me to get to know his side of the family. I actually got invited to a family reunion. He'd like to meet you, as well."

Chantel raises her eyebrows. "Oh really? Are you gonna go?"

"Mhm. Shawn and Jaxon are gonna accompany us too. Which means you'll go?" Gavin asks.

"Of course, I'll go." Chantel smiles and leans in to give him another kiss. "Let's go inside. Make something to eat. I am so hungry."

Gavin helps Chantel bring her bags into their apartment. He sets them down and shrugs his shoulders. "Uh, could I ask you a question? About my dad?"

Chantel sits down on their couch and nods. "Of course."

Gavin follows her, taking a seat of his own. He lets out a sigh and leans back. "What if...What if he disappears again? Like, what if this was all just to clear his conscience?"

"Do you think that's what's happening?"

Gavin shrugs. "I don't know. But...This is the first time I've been excited to be around my dad in years and...I'm scared he's gonna disappoint me again."

"Well, he hasn't yet," Chantel responds. She scoots closer to him on the couch. "He's been showing up, talking to you...Being honest. I think you just have to trust your instinct."

"Yeah...But there's always the what if, you know?"

"Try not to think about it, babe. He hasn't yet and by the way you've been talking about him, I think he's being serious. Sober for two years...He apologized to your mom. And he's making an effort. Just celebrate what is working."

Gavin smiles a little. "Thanks. Sorry for being weird."

"You're not being weird. You're being cautious." Chantel smiles and sits up on the couch, bringing her hand to rest on Gavin's cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too," Gavin smiles and leans in to kiss her once. He pulls away, the smile still on his face. "Thank you for talking to me."

***