Chapter 22: Magic Lessons

At first, I thought Rachel started speaking some kind of alien-ic poetry then I realized that it was just English.

“Logs everywhere. Seven amateurs enter the stage. The hunter meets the ravishing river. The archer searches for the key. The vegetarian finds its way home. The dreamer dreams and solves the puzzle. The magician saves the lost.”  Rachel, no, the oracle chanted.

"So, what was that supposed to mean?”  Travis scratched his head as the others brought Rachel to the infirmary.

"How should I know? The ones who will take this task will be the one who can decode what the oracle said. Travis and Camille, it’s time for you to choose your teammates.”  Chiron said in a low serious voice, “You have four days to complete this task and you’ll start tomorrow or Camille’s mother will either marry someone that you don’t know or be eaten by the Kylras.”

“Can’t you be the one who will choose our teammates?”  I asked Chiron.

"Yes, but I think Travis has some other plans.”

"Of course I do! I’ve been waiting for my entire life to have a mission!”  Travis sounded excited.  I’m afraid that he won’t take this mission seriously, but I guess I have to trust him already.  He’s the old member here.

"That’s good. Get Camille trained immediately while you look for your teammates. Hurry, you don’t have much time. Wow, this is the first time I’ve sent amateurs immediately for a rescue mission.”  Chiron said.

"Don’t worry, I’m going to choose the professionals to go with us. Thank you Chiron.”  Travis reassured us.  Travis led me to the next room and introduced me to the trainer.

"Welcome to Camp Half-Blood, Camille. I’m Kim Terrylle Sanchez. I am a new teacher here. My expertise is fire, but I can perform the other four elements well, so what do you want to learn first? I can actually teach you everything today as long as you concentrate.”  The teacher said.  Looks like this is going to be a chatty afternoon session.  Travis told us that he’d be hunting the others to inform them about the mission and left the room.

"A mission, huh? So when will that be?”  Kim asked.

"Tomorrow.”

"Interesting, so what will that be for?”

"My mother was captured by what they call ‘Kylras’ and we need to find her in just four days.”

"Intense mission. First, you don’t have any experience with magic. Second, the other day was your first time to encounter magic. Third, it’s your mother that you’re going to save, so I know that you’ll do everything to make this mission successful.”

How did she know that the other day was my first encounter of magic?  “Yeah, but how did you know that the other day was my first encounter of magic?”  I asked, surprised.

"Of course. I can read minds too, but that’s a deeper magic. I can probably teach you that too after everything else. Now, let’s start.”  Kim smiled, “First thing’s first. The most important thing in performing magic is clearing your mind. Once you’re distracted, for first timers, you can’t do magic well, but when you’re already a professional, you can do anything you want. Now, take a deep breath.”

I did what she instructed me to do.  I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and cleared my mind.  I can now hear the birds chirping outside, smell the wooden scent of the room and feel the cool refreshing wind that just blew by.  I opened my eyes when I heard glass-like clangs and saw Kim opening some colorful jars and placed it on top of the table that’s between us.

“What’s that for?”  I asked.

"Shh. Just keep your mind clear. Don’t distract yourself.”  She said, while she continues placing the jars.  I closed my eyes again and continued breathing.  “Now, open your eyes. Start smelling the content of these jars. We’ll get to see what your expertise will be when we get the results.”  Results?  I started from my left.  There are five jars on the table.  I put my nose near the opening and took a sniff.  I did a large sneezing sound and shook my head.  It smelled like some sort of trash.  “That’s not the one. Next.”  Kim said, pointing the next jar.  I took another sniff and coughed.  The content smelled like fish.  “Next.”  Kim said again.  The next jar smelled like expensive perfume.  I sniffed again and turned to Kim, “This smells like perfume.”  Kim nodded and said, “Cool, water.”

"These jars are the five elements of Earth. Everything has a different reaction. If you smell something nice, that means, that will be your future expertise. The first one is sky, second is fire, third, water, which will also be your expertise, fourth, earth, fifth, wind.”  She explained, “I’ll teach you everything first. I’ll put water last because you can find it out yourself when you’re already in trouble, but don’t worry, I’ll teach you if we have time. In earth, you have to know what you are stepping on. You can levitate things if you want. Spells are for complicated magic. You can use magic with your own instincts. Try it.”

I looked at the ground.  It was made of wood and cement.  I tried to make it crumble, but I ended up just making a face.  “Concentrate.”  Kim mumbled.  I closed my eyes and thought of an earthquake then the floor suddenly started shaking.  “Woah! Stop! I thought you were just going to levitate something!”  Kim shouted as she grabbed hold of the wooden chair nearby, “You’re a fast learner, maybe I can teach you how to read other’s mind after. Next lesson…” Kim explained every element and I tried every element.  After the four elements, and before the water, I felt like the room is about to collapse.  The light is already hanging by one sturdy string.  The cabinet is wobbling.  The coach is burning.  Kim’s hair is really frizzy and one side of the wall is almost crumbling.  Kim smiled and chanted a spell.  Everything turned back to normal after.

"We’re almost done! Water, here we come!”  Kim sounded excited, “Do anything you would like to do with the water. I won’t tell you anything about it this time.”

I looked at her with wide confused eyes and thought of something that I can do with the water.  I tried to do the fire on one hand and water on the other, but I figured my mistake.  My hair all stood up and half of me is wet, the other half on fire.  Kim snickered, “That’s one thing you should never do. Do fire and water at the same time. Don’t worry, people make mistakes.”  I sighed and extinguished the fire.  I thought of a tidal wave and started creating it.  A huge surge of wave came and washed us with it.  We were going with the flow, literally and someone suddenly opened the door without knocking.

"I’m back!”  Travis shouted.  The surge of wave went out of the room, thrashing everything that is on its way.

“Yipes!”  Chiron shouted and galloped for his life, “Get the wave out of here at this instant!”

“I’ll teach you a spell.”  Kim told me.  She whispered a spell and I tried it.  It actually worked.  The waves suddenly disappeared.  Everything went dry and the others who were in this floor where huffing and pumping out water from their system.

“You’re actually a good magician.”  Kim said, “I’ll teach you how to read minds next.”

“Next time, Travis, knock before you enter!”  Chiron shouted at the top of his lungs.

“Yes sir! Sorry for that.”  Travis apologized with smiling face.  Travis told us that he’d be back after the training and left.  Terylle led me back to the room and thought me how to read minds and to keep it a secret.  Looks like I’m ready for tomorrow, packing is next!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new chapter is already published after some time!

-Lyxen "Cayle"