Chapter 15

As I walked along the shore, the salty breeze caressed my skin, carrying with it the soothing rhythm of the ocean's song. The sand beneath my feet was warm and inviting, each step a gentle reminder of the earth's steady embrace.

The sky stretched out above me, a canvas of endless blue punctuated by wisps of cotton-white clouds drifting lazily by. The sun hung low on the horizon, casting a golden glow that danced upon the water's surface, with shimmering reflections that sparkled like diamonds in the gentle waves.

Seabirds soared overhead, their cries blending harmoniously with the rhythmic lullaby of the tide. The distant sound of laughter and conversation floated on the breeze, mingling with the soothing cadence of the ocean to create a symphony of serenity that wrapped around me like a comforting embrace. The delightful smell of the ocean filled my nostrils completely.

As I gazed out at the vast expanse of the sea, a sense of peace took over me, enveloping me in a tranquil sanctuary far removed from the chaos of everyday life. Here, in this moment, I found solace in the simple beauty of nature, and for the first time in what felt like an eternity, I felt truly at peace. I felt relaxed. I felt... human.

"You are so close," I heard Mia's voice behind me.

"Mia!" I cried out running to reach her but somehow she felt as if she was getting farther away.

"So close," she whispered again.

And then she wasn't there.
No, wait.
I wasn't there.

As I jolted awake, the sensation of something slithering over my face, my legs and my arms made my stomach drop. My eyes flew open to find my whole body overrun with snakes, seemingly tossed from the ceiling. A scream tore from my throat as I scrambled out of bed, desperate to escape the serpentine invasion. Gods, how I hated reptiles. Cold blooded disgusting creatures. I jumped and jumped around the room. Still feeling those slippery bodies around me.
And then, amidst the chaos, his laughter echoed through the room, a commanding force that demanded attention that surprisingly, made me more scared than snakes.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" I screamed searching for the source of the laughter, "Why would you do that?" I demanded as he materialized in my bedroom, his black hair falling lazily across his face, boredom etched into his features.

"Because it's amusing," he replied nonchalantly. "Are you ready? We leave in ten minutes."

I narrowed my eyes. "No, I have to go to work," I protested, mentally debating whether to skip my morning routine and head straight to the coffee shop.

In the blink of an eye, he leaned against my nightstand, his presence unnervingly close. "You work for me now," he declared, his gaze drifting to a book on the nightstand. "Remember yesterday?"

Rummaging through my closet for something other than the green dress I still wore from the night before, the memories flooded back: the intoxication, my sudden appearance in my home, and our inexplicable agreement... and some other things that I will gladly try to forget forever. If I didn't remember it, then it certainly didn't happen.

I couldn't help my blush as I turned to face him. "No... you tricked me," I accused, my anger bubbling to the surface.

"No, I didn't," he countered, his expression indifferent as if my outrage bored him.

"But you drugged me, even if you didn't actually manipulate my mind—" I moved closer, surprised by my own lack of fear in his presence. But deep down, I knew I was terrified.
Fake it until you make it, sweetheart.
My mothers voice echoed in my mind as I remembered her numerous lessons.

"I said it yesterday and I'll say it again," he stated firmly, his piercing blue eyes locking onto mine, forcing me to divert my gaze. "I didn't drug you; I merely provided the substance. The choice to indulge was entirely yours."