Chapter 16: Charioteer

There were still a few days left for the war

There were still a few days left for the war. It is now or never... thought Arjuni as she rode her horse Vikram to Dwarka.

Krishna was in his room as usual, playing his flute, while looking outside through his balcony. Arjuni reached his room and heard the whimsical melody and slightly parted the door nervously. Krishna knew who it was though. "Parthavi?" She gave a startled reaction and went inside the room slowly. "I- uh- sorry if i was invading your privacy.." she spoke anxiously.

"Of course not! Anyways, when did you come, Parthavi? Your arrival has been sudden. Any important updates or something?"

Arjuni shook her head uncertainly, repeatedly meeting and averting from his gaze. She had told her family that she was going for an important discussion with Krishna about the battle; she had been truthful, but not honest, for she hadn't revealed what exactly she was going to discuss. Thankfully, Yudhishthir hadn't asked any questions regarding that.

She was absolutely crazy for doing this, she knew. Crazy for coming all the way here for just this. It was just her complicated feelings, her restless thoughts, that had led her into this rash decision. She was disturbing Madhav unnecessarily, and was about to offend her deeply. The ever-patient Madhav would probably tell her to get lost. And perhaps wouldn't want to speak to her again. No, no, she mustn't let that happen, she couldn't bear it. What would she do without him? Then again, why did she even need him in the first place? Because she couldn't get over his own problems. A grown Kshatriya woman with problems, how dare she? All these thoughts flooded her mind, doubling the tension that had already been plaguing her since weeks.

Krishna raised a perfect eyebrow and snapped his fingers in front of her face, startling her. "Oh dreamy moon, where are you lost?" That nickname certainly didn't help. Not that she disliked it; in fact she really liked it. But...it only increased her turmoil.

"Oh..yes- umm...I, uh.." she trailed off, reddening. She didn't even know how to begin with her request. "Is something bothering you?"

Arjuni looked at him in the eye, although it took all her willpower to hold her powerful gaze. Madhav's eyes seemed to be boring into her very body.

"I've come here for a more private matter." She finally managed. "I have a request for you. A very personal request." "Tell me." Krishna replied, biting his lower lip, encouraging her to continue.

Arjuni swallowed, feeling unconfident again. How could she even reasonably make such an arrogant request? She forced herself to speak, as respectfully as possible.

"I...I've been thinking about this for, um, quite a few weeks now." She began, fidgeting with her pink dupatta of her lehenga. "To tell the truth, I am dreading the battlefield." "That's understandable." Krishna said, his voice light.

"No, no, please understand." Arjuni stepped a step closer to him. "I am... having thoughts and fears that I see no one else apart from myself having."

"Such as?"