Chapter 13: Me or my army?

Duryodhan had somehow, finally, by using his tears and whimpers, convince Balaram in not supporting the Pandavas

"Alright then" Balaram started. Krishna's eyes darted towards his older brother. "Therefore, I promise you today-"

Shakuni, Duryodhan and Dushasan all straightened up, eagerly waiting for him to finish. Krishna's eyes darted toward Balaram.

He continued, "-that I, Krishna or any other soldier of the Yadav army will not pick up arms in support of the Pandavas." He finished and looked down.

Krishna gazed at his brother, his eyes bearing a hidden yet deep look of dismay and worry. There was no way Dau would go back on his word now. Shakuni gasped and joined his hands in gratitude. "You are great, O' Mahabali Shree Balaram!" He exclaimed. Duryodhan and Dushasan smirked in triumph, having achieved exactly what they wanted.

The five of them were so engrossed in their own thoughts and talks, and they didn't notice a certain female warrior, who had entered the room a few moments ago, and had overheard Balaram very clearly.

Arjuni had heard it loud and clear, and was standing frozen at the opened door, her eyes holding a look of betrayal.

Her breath hitched before she addressed him. "B-bharatshree?" Several things happened at once. Balaram's frown vanished as his eyebrows shot up. Duryodhan turned around swiftly. Shakuni gave a violent start. Dushasan stared in confusion and annoyance. And Krishna, he stared in worry and shock at her.

She tilted her head. "W-What kind of decision is that, bhratashree?" She asked while shaking her head to the side. "H-how could you do this without even listening to our side of the story?"

Balram sighed. He shouldn't have fallen for Duryodhan's actings. He didn't know what to say. "I...can not go back on my word now." He looked up and walked away, glancing at his sister-in-law apologetically.

When Balaram leaves, Arjuni runs up to Krishna and clasps his hands in hers, bringing them up to her face. "Madhav! Pleade try to convince Bhratashree to take our side!" She requested him, her eyes holding a look of plea, shaking her head. Krishna wanted to, really, but he couldn't.

"Baldau's right, Arjuni. We can't pick up arms in support from your side." He almost winced at the reaction she gave. Arjuni's eyes had widened, holding a look of betrayal yet again, her lips parted in shock. He had never called her Arjuni. Always Parthavi. His Parthavi. Not even at that time when he was angry or sad or serious. So why now..?

Her hands loosened. Krishna's hands were now free. Arjuni had loosened her hands, but they were still in the position. Her hands went limp to her side, she looked down and turned around slowly. "Alright Arya, i understand. I...will talk to you later on." And she walked away.

Krishna held his hand out to reach to her but he didn't move. He couldn't. He didn't know why. He sighed, defeated. Suddenly he heard snickers. Shakuni and Duryodhan. He gazed at them, a little too long in the uncomfortable silence, making them too uncomfortable, and then left.