Chapter 10: 12 year vanvyaas

It was decided that the Pandavas would live in exile for twelve years and one year in hiding. If even one of them was found out in the last year, they would have to repeat the exile and one year hiding again.

Arjuni, after reaching Indraprastha, locked herself in her room and broke down on the floor, leaning on the side of the bed, hiding her face in her knees and holding them tightly.

Outside, as soon as the brothers with Draupadi returned, they started to call out to her, to come out of the room, and knocked continuously on her room's door. Subhadra, who had come there to take care of Abhimanyu on Arjuni's behalf, informed them that she just wouldn't open her room door. Then Krishna arrived.

"Greetings, Vasudev-"

"Right now it is not the time to exchange greetings, brother-in-law." Krishna looked angrily at Yudisthir. "You are the epitome of Dharma, but still committed such a great Adharma. You sacrificed YOUR sister in a game of Chausar, who is MY wife, brother-in-law."

Krishna then walked towards the door. "Parthavi? Can you let me in?" The doors slowly opened. Krishna looked back at the others and shook his head, signifying them not to come. He got in, and the doors closed again.

He slowly walked towards his wife and sat down on the bed, and patted her head. Sensing it was her husband, Arjuni moved her head on his lap and cried her heart out. Krishna looked sadly at his wife and continued calming her down. After what seemed like hours, she fell asleep on his lap. Madhav carried his wife and laid her down on the bed, her head on his lap, tear strains visible on her face, her kohl (kajal) strained too, marks of kohl on her face.

After some time

Arjuni finally came out with Krishna following her, a little behind. The brothers and Draupadi were relieved.

Yudisthir, after a while, said "Bheem, you said you would burn my hands for throwing those dice. Come forward and complete your word." Bheem shook his head, tears forming in his eyes.

"I-it's alright..i.." Arjuni takes a deep breath and releases it, closing her eyes "i forgive you." "But i don't forgive myself, and i threw those dice with my very own hands." He said and put his hand on the fire, that was burning in the container kept on the low pole. Arjuni went forward and removed his hands from the fire.

"The exile...we should get ready to leave soon." Arjuni said and went away. Krishna had already told her that they were now in exile. The brothers looked at each other in sadness and anger.

"I will come too. What is the use of me being anywhere without you, Arya? I won't be safe here anyways." Yudisthir tried to argue but Draupadi left no room for any argument.

After a while, the Pandavas and Draupadi, were outside the gates of the palace. Arjuni had Abhimanyu in her arms, whom she handed to Subhadra, who was standing beside Krishna. Arjuni looked in his eyes and then knelt down to touch his feet, but was stopped by Krishna midway.

They looked at each other in sadness and love and shared a tearful hug between them (they do be making me, the writer, feel single as heck). "Madhav, please take our son with you to Dwarka. He will be safe with you there. Teach him anything you can." He nodded at her, caressing her face smiling sadly. Abhimanyu was crying, as he felt his mother won't be with him now.

Arjuni looked at her son sadly and carressed his hair, kissing his forehead.

Krishna suggested, or rather told, Arjuni to obtain the Pashupatastra by performing hard meditation to impress Mahadev, Nakul and Sahadev to obtain divine medicines and knowledge from the Ashwinis by impressing them, Yudisthir and Draupadi to serve sages and brahmins, and Bheem to impress lord Hanuman and obtain knowledge and more might.