Ch. 42- Run Maria!

Start from the beginning

"They wanted to kill Maria," I declared in a shaky voice, and Rhys shook his head.

"No... No... Maria will be fine, Kay. Don't worry about her," he admitted. But before he could continue, Ju announced that Maria had descended to London and we should start our journey.

During our car ride, Rhys instructed me not to take off my sunglasses during the meeting, as they concealed the emotions displayed in my eyes. He wore his usual all-black attire, with a thick beard he hadn't bothered to shave since the blast.

He seemed like Sameer from Paris.

His return to his old self brought me some comfort. I mean, this was the man I fell in love with. He cupped my hands and said, "Kay, I will always be your Rhys... or Sameer... or whatever you want me to be. But please understand that I am a different person in front of these people. Don't harbor any negativity towards me or Maria today at the meeting, please."

His plea left me feeling nauseated. He removed my glasses and looked directly into my eyes. "Remember, you are coming with us. You are one of the Volkners today. I am sorry to drag you into this mess," he said, putting my glasses back on.

His words took me aback.

The car halted in front of a huge white archway of a building, opposite the Thames. I could see Westminster Chapel in the distance. Before the car doors opened, Rhys gave me a meaningful look.

And suddenly, his entire demeanor changed. He transformed into a new person as if I had never seen him before. His eyes narrowed, and his face became void of any emotions. All the sweetness of Rhys Sameer was gone.

He became Rhys Volkner, the Volkner Star, the ruthless COO of Volkner Corp.

Rhys stepped out of the car and offered his hand. I accepted and we stood on the street, surrounded by our security detail, some of whom were holding umbrellas. Despite the absence of rain or sunshine.

From a distance, I saw Maria walking towards us. She was wearing a black pencil dress, with a matching pea coat. Her short blond hair and bangs danced with each step, and she wore big sunglasses like mine.

Maria greeted me with a pat on the back, and I nodded in acknowledgment. Rhys had spent the whole morning training me on how not to show emotion, and I was trying my best to be as emotionless as them.

A few men came out of the building, all wearing white-collar attire. They escorted the three of us and a few of our men inside. I tried not to look anywhere, knowing that this iconic landmark was breathtaking, but I was told not to show any reaction.

We were escorted to Bill's office on the 5th floor which was grand, but not as grand as the Volkners'. Rhys, Maria, and I took our seats at the meeting table, accompanied by other MI5 personnel. Everyone seemed to be focused on Maria and Rhys, who exuded a strong sense of power and authority.

"I requested MI6 to be here," Maria stated with a cocky tone before Bill could finish the introductions. It was very atypical of her, at least in my experience.

"I-I don't think it's a matter for MI6," Bill stammered. Maria removed her sunglasses and gave Bill a steel cold stare with her grey eyes. A chill ran down my spine at her gaze.

"Oh, it is, Lord William," Rhys hissed at Bill with his velvety, low-pitched voice. Bill looked pale and signaled someone through the intercom.

An awkward silence filled the room for a whole minute, making me so uncomfortable that I had forgotten to breathe. The Director of General Strategy (DGS), a woman sitting across from me, broke the silence by addressing me directly.