hustling for the good life

january 1974

yoongi's hands graze over the soft material, his eyes scanning the beautiful detailing to search for any mistake or tearing he might have caused. to give himself a better view, he carefully drapes the hanbok over his bed.

you'll like it.

right?

he exhales deeply, trying to figure out what to do with this hanbok. is it a good idea to give to you? what if you don't accept it? what if you want to pretend nothing happened after last night? it was the deal after all.

someone walks past his room as he's biting his nails, and he immediately knows who it is based on his shadow alone.

he opens his door and pulls hoseok inside by his elbow.

"what are you doing?"

"give this to her," yoongi says quickly, pointing at the hanbok on the bed.

"how did you even get this?"

"doesn't matter," yoongi replies gruffly, "just don't tell her it's from me."

hoseok reluctantly nods before taking the hanbok from the bed and walks out of the room.

a knock on your door.

"i've got some clean clothes for you, if you'd like."

_______________

fuck.

fuck, you're so fucking pretty.

yoongi sees you step out of the room, wearing the dress he secretly bought (stole) for you. he already expected it to look good on you, but he didn't expect you to take his breath away and make his heart feel like it would burst out of his chest.

and just like that, he feels nine again, trying to catch your attention, but he's paralyzed. at least his brother isn't here to steal you away from him.

he wants to tell you how beautiful you are. how he loves you, even if he isn't supposed to.

no, that's too much.

he'll just tell you he thinks the dress looks good on you. 

yeah, he can do that.

finally mustering up the courage to go and talk to you after last night, he steps into the other room, just as you meet jin for the first time, and his courage drops to the floor.

"speechless, huh?" he hears jin say to you.

yoongi's hands tighten around the pot he's holding, his knuckles turning white. he can feel his stomach fluttering with jealousy and anger as he watches your face, looking at jin like he's the love of your life, while wearing the hanbok yoongi got for you today while you were resting.

you've clearly forgotten about last night. him telling you that he loves you obviously isn't as important as someone as good looking as jin.

fine.

if you want to pretend there isn't something more between the two of you, he can too.

___________________

november 1797

the kingdom is thriving and the people are praising yoongi's name.

this is all he ever wanted. he should be happy. this is the life he had to give up you for.