the old men that i've swindled really did believe i was the one

june 1776

yoongi groans as his mentor reads him the same boring poem from the same boring poet for the millionth time, his hand lazily and sloppily writing down the story word for word.

he doesn't understand the importance of having to learn how to write, or having to memorize poems. at nine years old, yoongi only cares about two things: playing piano and beating his brother at the games they play together.

his ears prick up when he ears the military drums in the distance. his father's army is here! he immediately stands up, almost tripping over his hanbok that's a little too big for him (but he'll grow into it when he's older!) as he hurries out of the room, ignoring the demands of his mentor to come back inside.

dozens of sergeants, generals, lieutenants and soldiers fill the palace's square.

yoongi stares in awe. one day, he'll be just as big and brave as them! he'll be the best king ever!

and then he sees her for the first time, his heart skipping a beat. a little girl, maybe 2 or 3 years younger than him, holding her father's hand (a sergeant, judging by his uniform) tightly as tears roll down her cheek. she's telling him something, but yoongi's too far away to hear what she's saying. her father tries to keep a neutral face, but his eyes start to glisten as his daughter's hand squeezes his.

though yoongi barely notices her tears or her cries, all he notices is how beautiful she is. he never felt like this before when his parents introduced him to potential future wives (which he hated! girls aren't fun to play with!). his hands start to clam up, and his heart races. he wants to talk to her, but what would he say?

"what are you doing?"

yoongi tries to hide his blush and quickly averts his gaze when he hears his brother's voice. he always wants what yoongi wants, and he always gets it, too.

"nothing."

"why is your face red?"

"my face isn't red!" yoongi protests, but his body betrays him as he feels his cheeks turn even more hotter.

suga snickers and looks into the crowd of men, finding the little girl crying with ease since everyone but the king is silent.

"she's pretty."

no! no, you can't have her! you always take what i want! let me have her, please.

"yeah."

they watch the military head out to the battle up north, leaving the little girl scared and alone.

"i'm gonna go talk to her," suga says before rushing over to her.

"wait–"

yoongi can feel his heart drop his stomach as he watches his more confident twin run off to talk to her. his stomach scrunches in envy and sadness when he hears her giggling at something he said.

he saw her first! she was supposed to be giggling at something yoongi said, not him. she was supposed to fall in love with him and he'd make her his queen when he's king and they'd have so many pretty babies who look just like her!

"my prince, come here now," his mentor says sternly, "your lessons are far from done."

yoongi glances one last look at the pretty girl, but his brother is already holding her hand as they run off together.