Chapter 18

The next day, I was focused on the monitor while sitting in my office chair when suddenly, I felt a touch on my skin. I turned to see Emma looking at me with a pout.

EMMA: Hey, I'm so hungry. Can you accompany me to the nearest shop?

I checked the time on my watch and realized there were still two hours left until break time. My stomach was rumbling too, as I hadn't had breakfast and had only come to the office with a cup of Horlicks. I looked at Emma and nodded.

VIDYA: Alright, let's go.

Emma and I slowly got up from our office chairs and headed out of the office room. As we passed by other employees, we pretended to be busy with files, checking them, but luckily, we managed to leave the office without being noticed. We ran quickly to the nearest shop, laughing along the way, and entered the shop.

EMMA: We have to be quick.

VIDYA: Yes.

Emma and I looked at the bread shelf and while loading it, we asked each other what we wanted.

EMMA: What do you want, Vidya?

VIDYA: Umm... Vanilla bread.

EMMA: Okay.

Emma grabbed vanilla and chocolate bread along with two water bottles. She paid for the food, and then we left the shop and headed back to the office. As we reached the entrance, I noticed Kathir talking on the phone. I immediately grabbed Emma's hand and stopped her, shocked by his presence. Emma widened her eyes and looked at me with concern, and I could see fear in her eyes. I placed my hand on my chest, signaling to her that I'm with her and she doesn't have to worry. I spoke to her in a slow voice.

VIDYA: I'll handle him! You go first, okay?

Emma nodded and slowly moved forward, while I bit my bottom lip nervously, hoping not to get caught.

KATHIR: I asked you to finish him off, but you just ended up warning him?

As I overheard Kathir's conversation on the phone, my eyes widened in disbelief. I turned to Emma, but she had already left the place and successfully entered the office. I turned back to Kathir, unable to stop thinking about what I had just heard.

KATHIR: On the next call, I want to hear good news! Do you understand?

I still couldn't get over what he said. I looked at him in shock as he hung up the call and turned to me. I quickly realized that I had forgotten to run before he turned, and now he had seen me. He furrowed his eyebrows and looked me up and down.

KATHIR: What are you doing here?

VIDYA: Y-you kill people?

I immediately closed my mouth with both hands, realizing what I had just asked him.

KATHIR: Are you sure you want to know about it?

He looked at me and took a step closer. My heart started pounding, and I trembled, trying not to show my fear.

VIDYA: N-no.

I took a step back, and he stopped, glancing at me with a grin on his lips. He then headed back to the office and entered. I watched him until he disappeared, and remembering his mom, I followed him.

VIDYA: W-wait.

Kathir headed to the staircase, and I followed behind, trying to stop him.

VIDYA: Sir, how is your mom?

He stopped, and I stopped too. Then, he clenched his jaw and continued climbing the stairs.

VIDYA: What happened to you yesterday? You left me at the hospital, and my brother came to pick me up.