The temperature-controlled pool water wasn't overly cold, but there was still a noticeable difference from body temperature. Ji Ruan shivered slightly, his teeth chattering, "Is...is this how to do it?"
"Hmm."
The action was correct but overly refined.
Gu Xiuyi squatted beside him and splashed some water on him.
Ji Ruan immediately shuddered, hunching his shoulders and clinging to Gu Xiuyi's bathrobe, curling into a tight ball.
Amused, Gu Xiuyi wrapped an arm around Ji Ruan's shoulder, patting him gently, "So afraid of water?"
How can a little mermaid be so scared of water?
"It's not that I'm scared..." Ji Ruan wiped his cheek with the back of his hand, the fingers looking soft and delicate, sounding slightly defensive, "I'm just not used to it. It's a natural physiological reaction."
"Right, a physiological reaction."
Gu Xiuyi encircled Ji Ruan in his arms, and without a word, began splashing water. Within moments, the half-dry mermaid-like figure was thoroughly soaked, with Ji Ruan trembling slightly, a delicate droplet forming on his chin.
Ji Ruan's skin was soft and slippery. As Gu Xiuyi wiped away the droplets, it felt as if his fingertips were caressing fine satin, evoking an indescribable sense of satisfaction within him.
"That should do it," he said, gently touching the external device behind Ji Ruan's ear, asking softly, "Should I remove it?"
Ji Ruan's hair was wet, and the dampness near his ears gave him a sense of urgency. He felt the device might get waterlogged if not removed soon, his attention solely on this concern, "Take it off quickly."
Gu Xiuyi dried his hands, removed the external device and placed it on a nearby table. He then shed his bathrobe and dived into the water.
Knowing Ji Ruan wouldn't hear much now, he simply gestured, spreading his arms, inviting Ji Ruan to join him.
Gu Xiuyi's earlier dive had looked rather suave. Ji Ruan tried to mimic it, not wanting to be completely outdone in terms of flair.
Biting his lip, Ji Ruan pushed off the edge and took a leap.
In his mind, Ji Ruan made a graceful entry into the water. In reality, he seemed to have just "slipped" in with a gentle splash.
He didn't even manage to steady himself. The moment his feet touched the bottom, he slipped, almost drowning in the shallow area. Thankfully, Gu Xiuyi pulled him up.
The fruits of Gu Xiuyi's regular workouts were evident at this moment. The arm wrapped around Ji Ruan's waist was unshakably firm.
Having swallowed some water, Ji Ruan, still slightly panicked, coughed on Gu Xiuyi's shoulder before gradually calming down.
Held by Gu Xiuyi, they moved towards the deeper part. The water rippled at chest level, and although Ji Ruan's feet dangled freely, giving him a sense of vulnerability, the buoyant sensation was exhilarating.
This was the second time Gu XiuYi held Ji Ruan by the waist like this.
The first was on a day of torrential rain, when Ji Ruan was drenched, his waist surprisingly supple.
But this time was different; perhaps Ji Ruan was a little scared. His body was tense, yet his waist seemed extraordinarily flexible.
Gu XiuYi distinctly felt the shallow curve of Ji Ruan's waist. Immersed in water, Ji Ruan's already thin clothing became almost nonexistent, and Gu's hand on it felt like it was on bare skin.
Gu XiuYi turned his head and took a deep breath, releasing Ji Ruan's waist and supporting him by the arm, forcing himself to focus on teaching.
At this moment, Ji Ruan was like a novice swimmer, completely captivated by the allure of the blue waters, his eyes wide and sparkling with excitement, utterly oblivious to Gu XiuYi's abnormality.
His ears muffled, Ji Ruan didn't notice Gu XiuYi's unusual silence.
He even thought Gu XiuYi was highly professional, guiding him through the movements step by step, ensuring he didn't choke on water. If Gu XiuYi weren't a CEO, perhaps he could consider becoming a swim instructor.
Although Ji Ruan didn't really pick up anything.
He might truly lack an athletic bone in his body. After nearly an hour in the water, aside from some floundering and cries for help, he hadn't mastered any technique.
In the end, he was so exhausted he leaned on Coach Gu to catch his breath.
Coach Gu was also quite exasperated. Swimming doesn't exactly lend itself to gentle teaching methods. No one learns without a few gulps of water.
However, he never intended to train Ji Ruan to be a swimming champ-some playful splashing was more than enough.
He just hadn't expected Ji Ruan to be this physically weak, clinging to him the entire time, and still managing to be out of breath.
"Ugh! --"
The person in his arms suddenly sank.
Gu XiuYi's reaction was faster than thought, grabbing Ji Ruan, "What happened?"
Ji Ruan, having inhaled some water in the sudden descent, grimaced in pain, "My leg...cough..."