63

Chapter 63
Ji Ruan noticed that Gu Xiuyi seemed dedicated to offering him the kind of romance peers their age commonly experienced.
Morning kisses and goodnight kisses, giving flowers, and picking up and dropping off from school-these are all fundamental romantic gestures.
When Ji Ruan mentioned in passing that many classmates were watching a certain film, Gu Xiuyi didn't hesitate to buy tickets, cunningly choosing seats in the second-to-last row.
Recently, he consulted Li Sui'an to refine his knowledge in romance essentials. He understood the unwritten rule that couples don't watch movies just because they're good. The farther back you sit, the more discreetly intimate you can be.
Such as stealing kisses or affectionate touches with Ji Ruan.
Strolling through a mall hand-in-hand with a loved one while dressed casually was a first-time experience for Gu Xiuyi.
Led by Gu Xiuyi, Ji Ruan walked beside him, their arms brushing against each other, feeling it quite novel.
To blend with the youthful vibe of the cinema, Gu Xiuyi only wore a simple casual shirt, a pair of half-rim glasses, and chose to forego his expensive wristwatches. Together with Ji Ruan, they could easily pass for an ordinary university couple at first glance.
The only difference being that Gu Xiuyi stood a bit taller, looked a tad more handsome, and Ji Ruan was significantly cuter than most.
"What do you think, are we running late?"
As they stepped onto the escalator, Ji Ruan, in a hurry, tried to check the time on Gu Xiuyi's wrist, realizing he wasn't wearing a watch, then rummaged in his pocket for his phone.
He'd overslept that afternoon and lingered in bed a little too long. By the time they reached the mall, they were already late. Fearing they'd miss the movie's opening, Ji Ruan was filled with regret.
"It's okay," Gu Xiuyi reassured him. "I've heard the first ten minutes of the movie aren't that great. If we miss it, it's no big loss."
Would the film's director appreciate his comment?
Ji Ruan, exasperated, tugged at his hand, "What I meant was, do we still have time to get a bucket of popcorn?"
Gu Xiuyi: "..."
Wrapping an arm around Ji Ruan's shoulder to navigate through the crowd as they descended the escalator, Gu Xiuyi cautioned, "That stuff doesn't digest well. You might get a stomachache later."
"I'll just eat a little then."
Ji Ruan tilted his face upward, his big eyes suddenly taking on a slightly pitiable look, "Everyone has popcorn when watching movies. If you don't buy it for me, I'll be the only one without any in there."
"......"
With just a few words, Ji Ruan touched Gu Xiuyi's soft spot.
How could he possibly allow Ji Ruan to be without snacks?
If others have it, his precious one must have it too-only more and better.
"...Alright," Gu Xiuyi conceded.
Joy flashed across Ji Ruan's face, but before his triumphant smile fully formed, Gu Xiuyi added, "Buying is one thing, eating is another. I'll allow you to eat only five pieces."
?!
Ji Ruan felt as if struck by lightning.
In his daze, even the act of Gu Xiuyi paying seemed to take on a cold detachment.
Following behind Gu Xiuyi, he argued fervently, "Five pieces?! Are you joking? Even kindergarteners can eat half a bucket!"
"...Five is truly outrageous, Mr. Gu. Just because people don't revolt doesn't mean you can oppress them to this extent. Ever heard of 'pushing too far will lead to resistance'?"
"Let's negotiate, 7 pieces, just 7."
Gu Xiuyi paused, holding the fragrant popcorn, and looked back at Ji Ruan, eyes gleaming with amusement. "How about this: give me a kiss, and you can have ten pieces."
Ten pieces!
Ji Ruan's eyes lit up.
That's a complete double!
Is there really such a good deal in the world?!
"You can't go back on your word."
"I promise, I won't."
"Mwah!!"

Ten minutes later, Ji Ruan sat in the second-to-last row, clutching the popcorn bucket, his face a picture of melancholy.
He belatedly realized he might have been a tad foolish.
He had actually fallen for Gu Xiuyi's deceptive words.
With a fierce glare at Gu Xiuyi, Ji Ruan said, "You planned to give me ten pieces all along, didn't you?"
Gu Xiuyi had always intended to give ten pieces, but he knew Ji Ruan's expectations would be around seven or eight. So, by initially stating five, increasing to ten afterward would make Ji Ruan feel like he had struck gold, even willingly offering a kiss in return!
The movie had already begun. Although there weren't many people in this show and their seats were toward the back, Ji Ruan, not wanting to disturb others, spoke in hushed tones, resembling an oppressed commoner tricked by a local tyrant.
The tyrant flashed a faint smile, taking the commoner's popcorn bucket. Without uttering a word, his expression said it all.
His ulterior motives were laid bare.
Ji Ruan wanted to crack his skull open to see its contents. How could he fall for such a clumsy trick?
But there was no use crying over spilled milk. It was his own fault, and Ji Ruan had to bear with it.
"Gu Xiuyi."
"What's wrong, darling?" Gu Xiuyi leaned in, smiling softly.
That smile, in Ji Ruan's eyes, resembled the smug grin of a triumphant capitalist.
Ji Ruan, pointing delicately with his pale fingers at Gu Xiuyi's shoulder, decreed, "You are not allowed to kiss me until midnight tonight."
The capitalist's smug grin froze: "...?"
Ji Ruan felt a slight satisfaction at this reaction. He turned away, focusing solely on the movie.
"Come on, Ji Ruan..."
"Don't speak to me."
"Darling..."
"Swindler!"
Gu Xiuyi, a formidable tycoon who dominated the business world for years, encountered his Waterloo in an IMAX theater hall at the age of thirty-one.
Ten popcorn kernels led to the first rift in his relationship with Ji Ruan.
Fortunately, this movie was truly hard to watch.
It was so unappealing that the attendance rate on weekend afternoons was less than 30%.
It was even dull enough to lull a certain child with the surname Ji into sleep.
His lips parted slightly, long eyelashes drooping. With every subtle movement of his head, his eyelashes quivered gently, like a butterfly delicately flapping its wings.
Ji Ruan always dozed off this way, like a pecking chick. He looked as though he might topple over any second, but he always just managed to maintain his balance.
Gu Xiuyi gently cradled Ji Ruan's face. It was slender with little flesh, yet smooth and tender to the touch, a very comfortable sensation.
He carefully let Ji Ruan lean on his shoulder. Under the intertwining light and shadow of the cinema screen, Ji Ruan looked like a crystal-clear porcelain doll. His faint breath tickled Gu Xiuyi's neck, a sensation so subtle it was almost imperceptible, yet it sent his heart racing.
Gu Xiuyi couldn't resist and pinched his face.
Perhaps feeling this even in his sleep, Ji Ruan's eyebrows furrowed slightly in displeasure, but he didn't wake up.
Seizing the moment, Gu Xiuyi playfully tapped Ji Ruan's nose and touched his eyelashes.
Having been single for thirty years, he had never been so close to anyone before, nor had he ever spent such a long time watching someone sleep.
And so, he had never seen eyelashes so long and beautiful. They truly resembled butterfly wings or swan feathers, making one itch to touch them.
He might not be allowed to kiss when he's awake, but surely it's permissible when he's asleep?
The child's shiny lips were right in front of him, how could he resist?
Without a hint of guilt, Gu Xiuyi held Ji Ruan's chin and gently pecked his lips.
Mmm, he didn't wake up; he's deeply asleep.
Gu Xiuyi grew bolder, stealing kisses on Ji Ruan's eyelids, eyelashes, cheeks, and nose.
Even as he was about to kiss every inch of Ji Ruan's face, Ji Ruan remained in a sweet slumber.

However, Gu Xiuyi suddenly felt a twinge of worry.
If his child could sleep so soundly, would it be unsafe for him to be left alone in the future?
Just as he was thinking, a faint sigh came from below.
"How much longer do you intend to kiss?"
Gu Xiuyi paused, then naturally embraced Ji Ruan. "Awake now?"
Ji Ruan opened his eyes, "You woke me with your kisses."
The person who declared no kissing until midnight didn't seem that upset after actually being kissed.
Grasping Ji Ruan's mood, Gu Xiuyi pulled him closer and apologized without hesitation, "I was wrong."
Ji Ruan snorted, "What did you do wrong?"
Trying not to laugh, Gu Xiuyi admitted, "I shouldn't deceive you, like offering ten pieces of popcorn for a single kiss from you."
He was then met with a glare.
"But you looked incredibly adorable."
A smile tugged at Ji Ruan's lips as he feigned seriousness, "...Then I want five more pieces of popcorn."
Gu Xiuyi replied softly, "Of course."
"And a beefsteak for dinner."
"Alright."
"And I want ice cream afterward."
"......"
Gu Xiuyi paused. Ice cream isn't great for the stomach.
He pinched Ji Ruan's chin, "Getting a bit greedy, aren't we, darling?"
To his surprise, Ji Ruan, with a hint of pride, quickly distanced himself from Gu Xiuyi. Not only did he seem opposed to more kisses, but he also looked as if he wouldn't even speak until midnight.
"Alright...fine," Gu Xiuyi conceded, pulling Ji Ruan back. "Ice cream it is. It's summer after all; a little won't hurt."
Ji Ruan reveled in his triumph, his eyes gleaming with satisfaction in Gu Xiuyi's embrace.
The seat Gu Xiuyi chose was indeed perfect: secluded in darkness and away from the crowds, ensuring their privacy.
Ji Ruan tilted his face upwards discreetly, "Then give me another kiss."
He was then met with a tender kiss.
·
After the movie, Gu Xiuyi kept his promise, dutifully going to buy ice cream for Ji Ruan.
To prevent Ji Ruan from playfully demanding more, Gu Xiuyi decisively told him to wait in the rest area and accept whatever he brought back.
Ji Ruan didn't mind. He wasn't particularly greedy; his insistence on ice cream was just a way to act spoiled.
After all, Gu Xiuyi did deceive him earlier.
Outside the theater were several claw machines. Out of boredom, Ji Ruan exchanged some money for tokens and started playing.
But this machine was exceptionally challenging.
Ji Ruan, skilled in embroidery, had one undeniable strength: a steady hand.
Each time, he could accurately target the prettiest bunny plushie, and each time he managed to grasp it. But the claw's grip was too weak, dropping the plushie before it reached the drop zone.
Ji Ruan often heard from Han Xiaolin and others that the most deceptive devices in commercial areas were the claw machines.
Initially skeptical, he now realized after firsthand experience that businesses could indeed be ruthless.
Whoever designed this machine was even craftier than Gu Xiuyi.
"Ji Ruan?" A familiar voice sounded from behind.
Ji Ruan had an uneasy feeling.
Turning around, he indeed saw Bai Yue, smiling as he greeted him and quickly approached, "Is it really you? What are you doing here alone?"
Ji Ruan, being cautious, didn't mention his date with his boyfriend and simply offered a restrained smile, "Yes, quite the coincidence."
Two individuals, a man and a woman, stood beside Bai Yue. On seeing Ji Ruan, they asked, "Little Yue, who is this?"
Bai Yue, feigning realization, replied, "Ah, where are my manners? This is a renowned Han embroidery artist I know. Remember, Grandfather Xiu's eightieth birthday is soon, and I've commissioned a gift from him."
The man gave Ji Ruan a skeptical once-over and whispered to Bai Yue, "So young? This is an important occasion for the old man. I hope there won't be any issues."
Bai Yue chuckled, "Don't worry. He's the last disciple of Master Cheng Yunxiu."
The man's eyes widened, "Really?!"
Cheng Yunxiu was a celebrated figure. Even though the man wasn't particularly interested in embroidery, he had occasionally heard about her in the news.
Immediately changing his demeanor, the man offered an apologetic smile to Ji Ruan, "My apologies, sir. I was a bit quick to judge. It's just that you look so young. Hahaha..."
Ji Ruan smiled, "It's alright."
The woman beside him tugged at his sleeve, took a covert glance at Ji Ruan, and whispered, "He looks familiar..."
"You know him?"
Shaking her head, the woman handed over her phone.
On the screen was news of Gu Xiuyi attending an alumni event with his partner. The person identified as Gu's official boyfriend looked strikingly similar to the young man before them.
While Bai Yue chatted cheerily, the young man opposite him appeared reserved with a hint of fatigue, as if he couldn't be bothered to engage.
The man's eyes widened in realization, and upon exchanging glances with the woman, both wore expressions of utter astonishment.