21

Chapter 21
Ji Ruan caught a cold after all.
When he awoke in the morning, everything felt off. The top of his mosquito net spun even more wildly than when his blood sugar was low. He closed his eyes briefly, then reopened them, but it was to no avail. His head felt dizzy, and there was a throbbing pain in his temples.
He sucked on a candy, slowly sitting up and leaning against the wall. After the dizziness had somewhat subsided, he gingerly got out of bed.
Because of his dizziness, Ji Ruan took each step with caution. Yet he still missed a step, gripping the railing in panic. His heart raced, but the scare seemed to have cleared his mind slightly.
As soon as Han Xiaolin woke up, he heard Ji Ruan's persistent coughing. It was intermittent, and at times so severe that Ji Ruan had to bend over and hold onto a table for support.
"Ji Ruan, are you okay?" Han Xiaolin asked, his mouth full of toothpaste foam, as he emerged from the bathroom.
Ji Ruan waved dismissively. He'd just taken a throat lozenge and drunk plenty of hot water, so his throat felt somewhat better. He slowly remarked, "Finish brushing your teeth. You've got foam on your shirt..."
Looking down, Han Xiaolin saw the white froth on his black T-shirt and shrieked, rushing back into the bathroom.
Watching Han Xiaolin's comical retreat, Ji Ruan chuckled and shook his head, then picked up his phone to browse casually.
Mr. Gu had risen at 5:30 am as usual and sent a message at 5:35 am: [How are you feeling?]
Glancing at the time, Ji Ruan noted it was 7 am. Gu Xiuyi was probably done with his workout and in the shower. He replied leisurely:
[Caught a cold. Are you okay?]
The response came instantly: [I didn't get wet in the rain yesterday.]
In reality, even if he had been drenched, with Gu Xiuyi's constitution, catching a cold would be unlikely. He said this only to avoid making Ji Ruan feel left out.
With damp hair, he typed one-handedly. His wet face looked even more stern. A droplet from his hair landed on the screen, swiftly wiped away by his thumb:
[I'll have Xiaoya send some medicine over shortly. Which entrance is convenient for you?]
Ji Ruan had to go to the library later to select courses. After some thought, he replied: [The main entrance. I'll be at the library around eight.]
[Alright.]
Ji Ruan turned off his phone. Having finished his morning routine, he rested his head in his hands, waiting for Han Xiaolin to get ready so they could have breakfast.
Han Xiaolin rushed about in the bathroom, then hurriedly changed into fresh clothes. Grabbing her bag, she approached Ji Ruan, asking, "Are you okay? Do you need to take a sick day?"
Suppressing a cough behind his hand, Ji Ruan smiled, "It's just a cold. Course selection is important-it affects the whole semester after all."
Han Xiaolin studied Ji Ruan's pallor with concern, "Do you realize how sickly you look right now?"
Following her comment, Ji Ruan checked his reflection in his phone's front camera. Indeed, he looked rather ghastly with pale lips and lackluster eyes, appearing as if he might faint any moment.
Seeing his own appearance, Ji Ruan couldn't help but chuckle. He donned a face mask, saying, "I wear my sickness. I look worse than I feel. Let's go, I'm hungry."
Han Xiaolin was skeptical but at a loss for words. Regardless, she accompanied Ji Ruan to the cafeteria.
The pair ordered a basket of steamed buns. Although Ji Ruan had loudly proclaimed his hunger, he only managed one before resorting to sipping soymilk with a lack of enthusiasm.
A cold could dampen one's appetite, Ji Ruan mused. The cafeteria's steamed buns were famously sought after, even by students from neighboring schools who'd have friends from Jingu University buy for them.
On a good day, Ji Ruan could consume four for breakfast. But today, after just one, he felt full. His stomach felt slightly acidic, but the warm soymilk provided some comfort.
Han Xiaolin had a class during the first period. Leaving the cafeteria, they had to part ways. The drizzling rain prompted her to glance back at Ji Ruan with her umbrella, "You're sure you're okay?"
"If you feel bad, go to the medical office!"
"Walk slowly... wait, maybe a bit faster. Course selection is essential too..."
With a mix of amusement and exasperation, Ji Ruan realized that if he dawdled any longer, Han Xiaolin would be late. He waved and set off first.
The recent weather was peculiar, transitioning between summer and autumn-chilly with rain, hot without. Under the light drizzle, even in his long-sleeved shirt, Ji Ruan felt a chilly breeze.
Following last night's downpour, plane tree leaves littered the pathways, wetly sticking to the ground. The damp air carried a hint of decaying foliage-an unappealing scent.
Buffeted by the wind, Ji Ruan's head throbbed and his stomach churned. Adjusting his mask, he quickened his pace.
By the main entrance, Xiaoya was already waiting. She greeted Ji Ruan with a bright wave.
Folding his umbrella, Ji Ruan smiled at her from behind the access control barrier, "Sister Xiaoya."
"Hey, Ji Ruan, are you alright?" Dressed in an elegant suit, Xiaoya handed over a bag of medicine, "The boss initially wanted to deliver this personally, but work got in the way, so he sent me instead."
Accepting the bag, Ji Ruan coughed slightly, his voice raspy as he winced, "Thank you, Sister Xiaoya. If work is busy, you should head back. I wouldn't want to hold you up."