65

Chapter 65
A Date!
The couple exchanged a quick glance.
Bai Yue seemed unprepared for that answer. His smile froze momentarily but he managed to maintain it:
"A date? Ji Ruan didn't mention it earlier. Had I known, I wouldn't have intruded."
"It's no interruption," Gu Xiuyi smiled. "What were you discussing that seemed so lively? Care to share?"
Bai Yue took a deep breath, "Not much. Just chatting about Grandpa's upcoming birthday next week."
Mr. Gao's mind raced, quickly assessing the situation. He ingratiatingly grinned, deliberately commenting:
"Exactly! We're all envious. Everyone wants to witness the grandeur of the Gu family's banquet. But only close families like Bai's get the privilege to attend. People like us can only catch a glimpse on the news, hahaha."
Bai Yue was taken aback, not expecting Mr. Gao to say such a thing.
On the surface, it sounded flattering for both, but it was insinuating that Bai Yue was trying to latch onto connections.
Bai Yue's breath quivered.
Gu Xiuyi's gaze leisurely shifted to Mr. Gao, "And you are?"
Recognizing an opportunity to join the conversation, Mr. Gao bowed repeatedly, "Mr. Gu, it's me, Gao Dahai. We were classmates in senior year!" He slapped his chest, "Me! Gao Dahai!"
Gu Xiuyi frowned, seemingly unable to recall any memory of him.
Unfazed, Mr. Gao laughed, "I figured you wouldn't recognize me. I was much slimmer back then. After doing business for a few years, I've put on some weight. If you'd attended the reunion, I'm sure everyone would've teased me about it, hahaha."
Gu Xiuyi then nodded as if realizing, "Ah, an old classmate. I had a rare day off during the reunion and chose to stay home with Ji Ruan. My apologies."
Ji Ruan couldn't help but chuckle, continuing to enjoy her ice cream and the unfolding scene.
Inwardly, Mr. Gao cursed Bai Yue even more. Just earlier, Bai Yue mentioned a meeting, but the man was at home with his wife!
And to think he had eagerly invited Bai Yue for a meal, hoping for an introduction during the reunion, only to find that Gu Xiuyi didn't give a damn about his reputation!
Mr. Gao, hiding his frustration with a smile, desperately flattered, "Look at you, always involved in big ventures. If you have free time, of course, you should spend it with your wife. Unlike us small businessmen always hustling. Your recent Lingzhou Phase Three project is incomparable. A mere crumb from such a project would be enough for us to live on forever, hahaha."
Gu Xiuyi caught the insinuation in his words, offered a smile but didn't respond, and turned to Bai Yue. "Back when Grandpa was active, our families did have some interactions."
He smiled enigmatically, "But as I recall, the Gu and Bai families haven't collaborated in a long time, right?"
Bai Yue's eyes lowered, seemingly swallowing his pride, "Yes, our business hasn't been flourishing lately."
His gaze circled Ji Ruan's face before returning to Gu Xiuyi, biting his lip, "Are you upset? ... Is it because others are speculating about our relationship, that you're unhappy?"
He glanced nervously at Gu Xiuyi.
Gu Xiuyi's expression was unreadable, revealing no emotion.
And it was precisely this inscrutability that intensified the unease.
Bai Yue clenched his fists, testing the waters, "Perhaps there's been a misunderstanding. It troubles me too. I've always asked others not to speculate about our relationship. After all, we were just friends."
Lowering his gaze with a somber expression, he added, "Besides... you're already married."
Ji Ruan marveled at Bai Yue's theatrical display, thinking, "Isn't this performance more layered than those overwrought primetime dramas?"
It's a pity that Aunt Zhao wasn't there; she would've loved this show.
With Ji Ruan by his side, Gu Xiuyi casually remarked, "Let's just consider ourselves mere acquaintances. I can't bear the weight of 'friendship'."
The onlooking couple exchanged shocked glances.
It never crossed Bai Yue's mind that Gu Xiuyi would utter such harsh words in front of others. It felt like a cold bucket of water was dumped on him:
"... Xiuyi? You... you don't even want to be friends anymore?"
His face paled, exuding an aura of sympathetic vulnerability.
Yet Gu Xiuyi seemed indifferent, sighing, "If I remember correctly, you're a friend of Gu Xili. As a guest in my house, to me, you're just that-a guest."
Lao Gao and his partner focused intently on Bai Yue, their stares now stark and piercing.
Bai Yue gritted his teeth, hoping to gamble on the chance that Gu Xiuyi wouldn't humiliate him in public.