45

Chapter 45
Qingxi Mountain, a renowned national 5A tourist site, is situated at the border between City A and City B.
Ji Ruan, filled with anticipation, had been preparing for a week for this intercity business trip. Though, in reality, it wasn't as distant as he'd imagined. The total drive took only two hours, making it a popular choice for day trips among City A's residents.
Yet Ji Ruan was elated. On the departure day, he set a personal record for the quickest time getting out of bed, without his usual prolonged drowsy lounging.
Cheng Zizhang came to pick him up by car, and including Cheng Yunxiu, there were just the three of them.
When Gu Xiuyi saw him off, the sun was still hiding behind the clouds. The horizon glowed with a clear brightness, the clouds stretched thin, with only a single piercing ray of sunshine needed to break through.
All Gu Xiuyi saw was Ji Ruan's cheerful silhouette and the strands of his hair dancing in the wind.
The journey would only span three days and two nights. With minimal luggage required, Gu Xiuyi placed Ji Ruan's small suitcase in the trunk. Ji Ruan himself clutched a nearly-empty candy jar as he settled into the car, handing out a few pieces to Cheng Yunxiu and her daughter.
Aunt Zhao stood beside Gu Xiuyi, incessantly chattering and holding the hand Ji Ruan extended from the car window.
"Take good care of yourself, okay? Ruan Ruan."
"It gets cold in the mountains at night. Make sure to wear extra layers to avoid catching a cold."
"I've packed cold and stomach medicine in your suitcase. You'll see them as soon as you open it."
"Send a message when you arrive. Not to me... Oh, no, send it to Xiao Gu. Haha, if you tell him, I'll know too..."
Ji Ruan was both amused and exasperated. With Aunt Zhao's fussing, anyone would think he was off to join the military, not to return for a long time.
He stuffed a handful of candy into Aunt Zhao's hand, resting his chin on the window ledge in a cute manner. "I know, Aunt Zhao. Don't worry! I'll be back the day after tomorrow. It'll be quick~"
"Oh, my sweet boy..." Aunt Zhao looked at the bright candies in her hand, her smile so wide her lips almost met.
These were Ji Ruan's favorite candies, ones he usually reserved for himself. Giving her so many surely signified her special place in his heart!
All the meals she'd prepared over the year had been worth it; their Ruan Ruan was truly a good boy.
"Alright, alright, I'll wait for your return. Make sure you stay healthy!" Aunt Zhao affectionately tousled Ji Ruan's hair. Ji Ruan didn't resist but instead squinted, allowing her to pat him.
Gu Xiuyi watched from the side, feeling slightly jealous.
Ji Ruan has never let anyone simply touch him so freely.
If he wanted to touch Ji Ruan, he'd either have to disguise himself as a masseuse or come up with clever excuses like tricking a child.
Currently, Aunt Zhao has claimed the entire space by the window all to herself, making it impossible for Gu XiuYi to squeeze in, and she shows no sign of moving anytime soon.
"Ahem!" Gu XiuYi covered his mouth slightly.
Aunt Zhao paused in her rambling, only then realizing someone was beside her. She gave an embarrassed smile, "Oh my, look at my memory. Uh, young Gu, why don't you share your thoughts... hahaha, go on, speak up..."
She moved aside, clearing some space, and popped one of Ji Ruan's heart-shaped cherry candies into her mouth.
Yikes! It's so sour that it makes my teeth ache...
Gu XiuYi was about to head to the company, his suit impeccably tailored and neat.
Though most who wear suits year-round might seem stiff and dull, Gu XiuYi never gave off such a vibe.
Ji Ruan had to admit that he truly suited the suit. The fine, expensive fabric highlighted his tall and upright physique perfectly, lending him a calm and grounded aura.
The glint in his eyes as he slightly tilted his head to look in through the car window could easily make hearts flutter.
Gu XiuYi remained silent, gently rubbing Ji Ruan's cheek with the back of his hand. This gesture was so light, like being tickled with a feather, sending warm tingles through one's nerves and causing hearts to race.
Ji Ruan liked physical touch with those he was close to, especially with people like Gu XiuYi who had a naturally high body temperature. Being gently touched felt like a little swan was shyly ruffling its feathers inside, its feathers swirling all around, filling the heart chamber completely.
Ji Ruan pursed his lips, looking up at Gu XiuYi, curious about what he might say.
A hint of a smile in Gu XiuYi's eyes, his gaze shifted from Ji Ruan's face to the candy jar in his arms, and he casually remarked:
"Don't I get a candy?"
"......?"
That's it?
He just wants a candy?
Ji Ruan's expression went blank, and then a hint of disappointment showed at the corners of his mouth.