38

Chapter 38
In the amusement park, there were four different types of roller coasters. Han Xiaolin and his group chose and rode all the most thrilling attractions. After having their fill of fun, they headed to a nearby restaurant to eat.
Before even taking a few bites, Qin Shan pulled out his phone to stream the live broadcast of the Han embroidery event. He held onto the hope that perhaps, despite her illness, Zi Zhang might have made it to the event.
As it turned out, Cheng Zizhang wasn't that committed.
Comfortably resting in the hospital with everything she needed, there was no reason for her to make a strenuous effort to come and risk opening her surgical wound, especially with her mother present to ensure everything went smoothly.
With his keen eyes fixed on the screen, Qin Shan heaved a deep sigh: "Ah, she really isn't coming..."
"What are you up to?" Han Xiaolin, munching on a chicken leg, peeked over, "Oh, you're watching the broadcast? I told you she couldn't come because of her appendicitis. You really won't give up hope until you see it, huh?"
Qin Shan expressed his disappointment, "It's boring now. I'm shutting it off."
"Wait a second," Han Xiaolin had a thought and motioned to stop Qin Shan, "Let's leave it on. Eating without some background noise feels off. Even just hearing it is nice."
Li Yu chimed in, "Right, since it's already on, let's keep watching. We can also appreciate the art."
Seeing both of them agreeing, Qin Shan nodded, "Alright."
He took out a stand from his bag, set his phone on it, placing it in front of the table. The other two adjusted their chairs closer, enjoying their meal while watching the broadcast.
The event had just started. On screen, Teacher Cheng Yunxiu was introducing the attending guests and their works, her demeanor graceful and her voice melodious.
Smiles involuntarily crept onto the faces of the three men watching.
"Teacher Cheng really resembles my senior. They could be cut from the same cloth. Such an elegant aura..."
"Well, aren't they mother and daughter? Of course they'd resemble each other!"
"Speaking of which, this detailed craftsmanship is truly mesmerizing. The colors are so vibrant. Is that bird a phoenix or a mandarin duck?"
"It's probably a phoenix. Aren't mandarin ducks always depicted in pairs?"
The entire event hall was adorned with a classic, traditional touch. Many of the pieces Cheng Yunxiu showcased to the audience were renowned works from the past few decades, many of which had been borrowed from museums or private collectors.
Initially, the trio listened casually, but as time went on, they became increasingly engrossed, even forgetting to eat.
Only when the master's appreciation segment concluded, and it was time for the disciples to present their work, did Qin Shan resume eating.
With a chicken bone in his mouth, Han Xiaolin gazed at the screen, mumbling, "Now that we've seen the masters', isn't it time to see Ji Ruan's piece?"
Qin Shan perked up immediately, "Really?!"
Li Yu leaned in, "Which one is it?"
On the screen, a young unfamiliar girl was presenting her work, with her proud teacher beaming at her side.
Han Xiaolin, not an expert in the field, thought the girl's piece looked pretty but couldn't distinguish any significant difference from the works of the masters.
Qin Shan, excitedly exclaimed, "Oh! I can see Teacher Cheng in the background. Ji Ruan and my senior's embroidery piece must be next! Even if I can't see my senior's beautiful face, being reminded of her through her work is comforting!"
Han Xiaolin: "..."
Li Yu: "..."
They genuinely couldn't relate to this fanboy mentality.
The camera then panned to a tall, slender young man taking the microphone from the girl, introducing himself as a disciple of Teacher Cheng Yunxiu.
Qin Shan frowned, "Who is he? When did Teacher Cheng take on this disciple?"
Li Yu nodded, "While you only had eyes for your senior, how would you know? He is indeed Teacher Cheng's disciple, named Lin Qing."
Qin Shan expressed his surprise, "How do you know?"
"He's from the same art academy. We've crossed paths frequently since we have classes in the same building. However, he's two grades above, so we're not that close."
As Li Yu spoke, a memory seemed to surface: "Right, during the school's anniversary celebration earlier this year, he also embroidered a winter landscape. However, everyone was so engrossed in Ji Ruan's paintings in the hallway that hardly anyone took notice."
"Hmm..." Qin Shan pondered, "Seems his skills are just average."
Han Xiaolin chuckled, nudging him with his elbow, "Let's not talk without knowing, we're outsiders after all. Be careful not to get punched."
"-This piece is titled 'A Corner of the Courtyard,' inspired by the pear orchard behind the North Square of Jing University..." On screen, Lin Qing began explaining in a gentle tone, appearing poised and cultured.
"My senior, Cheng Zizhang, and I spent nearly a month completing this piece. The brick wall of the pond is embroidered with indigo silk thread mixed with silver strands. This technique beautifully captures the aesthetic of mist hovering over the brick wall after the rain..."