57

Chapter 57
"Have some tea, young Gu."
Ten minutes later, Gu Xiuyi sat on the small couch in the studio, accepting the white porcelain teacup from Cheng Yunxiu, saying politely, "Thank you."
Cheng Yunxiu replied with a gentle smile, "You're welcome. You two chat for a bit. It's getting late, and Zi Zhang and I are going out to buy groceries. If you're free, would you like to stay for dinner?"
Gu Xiuyi did not refuse, "I'd be honored."
Cheng Yunxiu laughed lightly, patting Ji Ruan on the shoulder, "What would you like to eat, Ji Ruan?"
Holding his own cup, Ji Ruan looked up upon hearing her, "Anything is fine. Didn't you mention you have some signature dishes?"
Cheng Yunxiu pondered, "Alright then, we'll improvise. Just don't be too picky later!"
"How could we be?" Ji Ruan smiled, "I'll be sure to enjoy it."
"Hahaha, alright," Cheng Yunxiu waved her hand, "You two carry on. I'll step out."
"Thank you, Professor," Ji Ruan waved in response.
Gu Xiuyi offered a gentle smile and nodded in acknowledgment.
After the mother-daughter duo disappeared from the doorway, Ji Ruan turned to look at Gu Xiuyi.
The man set his porcelain cup back on the coffee table, leaning slightly forward with his elbows resting on his thighs, fingers interlaced- a stance that seemed reserved and distant.
"... Have some tea," Ji Ruan pushed the cup towards him, probing, "What's the matter?"
Gu Xiuyi's features remained inscrutable, betraying no emotion.
He picked up the tea after Ji Ruan's suggestion, took a sip, and then placed it back. His gaze fell on Ji Ruan, scanning his waist and shoulders, "Does it still hurt?"
"Huh? No, no," Ji Ruan touched the tip of his nose, embarrassed, "I just said that on a whim..."
Earlier, Gu Xiuyi had held him for too long. With people passing by outside and just a glass door separating them, it was easy for Cheng Zizhang and her daughter to notice, making Ji Ruan feel utterly flustered.
Coupled with Gu Xiuyi's overwhelming assertiveness, Ji Ruan had started to feel breathless after a while.
But no matter how much he protested, it seemed as if Gu Xiuyi was the one with a hearing impairment.
In his helplessness, Ji Ruan feigned extreme pain, and only then did Gu Xiuyi release him, as if awakening from a trance.
Gu Xiuyi extended a hand, "Come closer."
Unsure of his intention but trusting him, Ji Ruan took Gu Xiuyi's hand, leaning in, "Are you sure you're okay?"
He realized that Gu Xiuyi was trying his best to appear composed, but his effort only seemed to make him appear more daunting.
For a moment, Ji Ruan had the erroneous feeling that the Gu family business was on the brink of bankruptcy, and Gu Xiuyi seemed like a mountain struggling to stand but on the verge of collapsing.
"I'm fine," Gu Xiuyi said calmly, pulling Ji Ruan by the hand to sit on his lap.
Ji Ruan, initially unresponsive, only realized something was amiss when he felt the texture of Gu Xiuyi's suit trousers, promptly springing up.
"What on earth are you doing?"
Yet Gu Xiuyi was firm, wrapping his arms around Ji Ruan's waist with unquestionable intent, "Sit."
Unable to resist him, Ji Ruan tentatively sat under Gu's directive, feeling completely out of his element. His back was rigid, legs pressed tightly together.
It was... such a peculiar sensation!
Gu Xiuyi's suit trousers were thin and comfortable, and Ji Ruan's pants weren't thick either. Within seconds, their body heat intertwined.
They say that the buttocks are the coolest part of the human body; Ji Ruan had once doubted it, but now it seemed all too real.
Otherwise, how could he explain the warmth radiating from Gu Xiuyi's thigh?
Ji Ruan felt as if he was sitting on a bed of hot coals. Before long, his cheeks and ears flushed a deep red.
He was utterly unaccustomed to this warmth, almost embarrassingly so. Pushing against Gu Xiuyi's shoulders, he exclaimed:
"What on earth... are you trying to do?"
But Gu Xiuyi pulled him into an embrace. Unlike the intense gesture at the door earlier, this hug was the epitome of gentleness.
He sighed softly, "Give me a moment, can I just hold you?"

Ji Ruan, flustered by Gu's actions, allowed himself to be enveloped in the embrace.
Fortunately, Gu Xiuyi showed restraint this time, not getting overly intense as he had outside. After a moment, he released Ji Ruan.
Gu Xiuyi cast a glance around, spotting the small white suitcase standing quietly to the side, revealing Ji Ruan's purpose for being there.
"Are you planning to move in for a while?" he asked.
Ji Ruan's eyelashes fluttered, his face resembling a ripe cherry, the skin around his eyes tinged with a rosy hue. He replied, somewhat hesitantly, "Yes, is that not okay?"
Gu Xiuyi cupped Ji Ruan's face, gently brushing the corners of his eyes, "No, no, darling-"
He smiled, though it looked strained, "But could you perhaps tell me in advance? I tend to worry."
Ji Ruan tilted his head, his earlier unease morphing into confusion, "What are you talking about?"
"I did mention it to you, remember?"
He asserted, "I thoroughly described the situation before leaving!"
"..." Gu Xiuyi raised an eyebrow, "Where did you describe it?"
"I sent a message."
"I didn't receive any."
"......"
Ji Ruan blinked rapidly, "That's... that's not possible. I genuinely sent it."
"Then why didn't you answer my calls?" Gu Xiuyi inquired, "Do you know how I felt returning home to find you gone, luggage missing, and unable to reach you by phone?"
"... You called me?" Ji Ruan's determination began to waver. He reached into his pocket, not finding his phone. A pang of realization hit him.
"Well, I'm sorry," he said, managing a rueful smile, "I left my phone in the workroom inside... Just wait a moment; I'll get it-"
As he tried to rise, he was surprisingly held in place. Looking down, he realized Gu Xiuyi had him firmly wrapped in his arms.
Ji Ruan: "..."
Slightly exasperated, Ji Ruan patted Gu Xiuyi's hand, "Let go a bit, I need to get my phone."
For a moment, Gu Xiuyi's frown deepened, looking exceptionally hesitant. It was as if Ji Ruan wasn't merely retrieving something from a nearby room but embarking on a journey to the West for sacred scriptures.
Fortunately, Gu Xiuyi came to his senses quickly, refraining from letting his intellect nosedive. He calmly released Ji Ruan, saying, "Go ahead."
Ji Ruan exhaled in relief, quickly fetching his phone from the workroom.
Gu Xiuyi attempted to coax Ji Ruan to sit on his lap, casually extending a hand.
Ji Ruan wasn't one to be fooled twice; he promptly chose to sit beside Gu Xiuyi on the couch.
Gu Xiuyi: "..."
"Check your phone," he remarked calmly, retracting his hand.
By this point, Ji Ruan suspected there must have been an issue on his end. Still, he clung to hope, eager to see the message safe and sound in the chat box.
The message did indeed sit in the chat box, confirming that Ji Ruan didn't just leave without a word. Yet, the glaring red exclamation mark next to it couldn't be overlooked.
It declared the failure of the message's transmission.
Meanwhile, his notifications were swamped with red alerts. Han Xiaolin, Li Yu, and Qin Shan each sent him a barrage of messages, all filled with urgent concern. Their dormitory group chat was bustling with conversation.
--It still is bustling.
They were discussing whether Gu Xiuyi had found him, if any "hands-on family education" was administered, and if Ji Ruan was still well and alive.
Ji Ruan: "..."
He promptly sent a picture of the stoic Gu Xiuyi sipping tea.
[Thanks for your concern. I'm well. Don't worry.]
The group chat became even livelier. They exclaimed at how immaculate Gu Xiuyi looked in the photo and expressed relief that Ji Ruan was indeed alive. The subsequent comments became a bit too much for Ji Ruan, who swiftly turned off his screen.
For a brief moment, there was a profound silence, with only the rustling sound of the wind stirring the tree branches outside.
With composure, Ji Ruan put away his phone and made a decision.