29

Chapter 29
Auntie Zhao whispered, "I've informed Xiao Gu. He said he'll be back in twenty minutes."
"Alright," Ji Ruan sighed, "I'll wait for twenty minutes and then sleep."
He took a couple of steps into the living room. As Fang Lan looked up, their eyes met. With her meticulously applied makeup, she immediately rose to greet him, her eyeliner lifting with her smile.
"Ji Ruan! It's been such a long time!" Fang Lan took hold of Ji Ruan's hand as if she were a genuinely warm elder. "Look at you, still so handsome... Come, come, have a seat!"
Before Ji Ruan could get a word in, Fang Lan had already pulled him down onto the couch.
Holding his hand, she examined his face closely, then patted the back of his hand, "You seem to have lost some weight. Are you not liking the food? Or perhaps not feeling at home?"
Feeling a tad uncomfortable under her scrutinizing and overly affectionate gaze, Ji Ruan withdrew his hand, "It's fine. I've just had a cold recently, so I've been eating less."
The grip she had on his hand suddenly loosened. Fang Lan's smile faltered momentarily, but she quickly recovered, rubbing her hands together, "Do take care. Although a cold might seem minor, it can be quite taxing."
"Yes, you're right." Auntie Zhao brought Ji Ruan a cup of warm water. After taking a sip, he still felt an itch in his throat and coughed a couple of times.
Fang Lan pushed a paper bag from the coffee table towards Ji Ruan, "Look, Ji Ruan, these are snacks I've made myself. They're delicious! Xiuli and Qiming love them!"
"This bird's nest is especially good," she exclaimed, pulling it out with a beaming smile, "Top-grade bird's nest, sourced especially for me through a friend. You can't find such quality in stores! And this tea-"
"Mom," Fang Qiming interrupted impatiently, "Why are you fawning over him? Remember, he's the junior here, and you're the senior!"
"Qiming, watch your words!" Fang Lan shot him a sharp look before turning back to Ji Ruan, "Pay him no mind, Ji Ruan. He's always been like this."
"I..." Fang Qiming, agitated, ran his fingers through his hair. But under Fang Lan's stern gaze, he refrained from saying anything further and started fiddling with his phone.
With Fang Lan's shrill voice and Fang Qiming's loud retorts, Ji Ruan, already feeling under the weather, grew even more distressed, his temples throbbing.
He closed his eyes momentarily, then said softly, "Auntie Fang, if you have something to say, please be direct."
"Oh, what could I possibly have to say?" Fang Lan replied, waving her hand dismissively. Her thin eyebrows furrowed sincerely, "I just wanted to apologize to you."
"Apologize?" Ji Ruan took another sip of water.
"Yes," Fang Lan admitted with a look of remorse, "Xiuli acted recklessly before and hurt you. His words weren't kind either. I've been feeling terribly guilty about it, so I've brought Qiming along to offer an apology."
Half a year has passed, and only now she thought to apologize?
Besides, at that time, Gu Xiuyi only used that incident as an excuse to send Gu Xiuli abroad, mainly to keep him out of sight and out of mind. Fang Lan must be well aware of this. How could she act as if nothing had happened and even offer an apology?
Is she trying to coddle me like a child?
Ji Ruan pressed his temples, looking slightly pale, "Auntie Fang, I'm not feeling well. If you're reluctant to speak, I'll head upstairs."
Without waiting for a response, he stood up.
"Wait, Ji Ruan!" Fang Lan, seeing him about to leave, swiftly grabbed his wrist. Caught off guard, Ji Ruan stumbled and fell back onto the couch, momentarily dazed.
Fang Lan raised a finger, hesitating, "Well... there's a small favor I'd like to ask..."
Ji Ruan adjusted his external device, took a deep breath without speaking, and frowned at Fang Lan.
Clearing her throat, Fang Lan adjusted the fur collar of her coat. Her gemstone ring sparkled in the bright living room light, "With the New Year approaching..."
She implored, "Could you perhaps speak to Xiuyi and ask him to let Xiuli come home for the New Year?"
Ji Ruan raised an eyebrow, staying silent.
Fang Lan continued, "He's matured a lot during these few months abroad. I promise he won't cause any trouble if he returns. We're all family here. Could you please convey this to Xiuyi for me?"
Ji Ruan pursed his lips, remaining silent.
Fang Qiming huffed, "We're speaking to you. Are you deaf?"
Fang Lan hastily tugged at his sleeve. He shot her a glance, pulled his hand away irritably but chose to remain silent.
"Ji Ruan..." Fang Lan began, her voice quivering as she touched the tip of her nose, looking on the brink of tears, "Can't you help me out? After all, Xiuli is my own son. Isn't it reasonable for a mother to want to see her child during the New Year?"
Ji Ruan pushed the paper box towards her, calmly asking, "Don't you know how to video call?"
"Hey! What kind of way is that to speak?" Fang Qiming flared up again.
Ji Ruan, getting a headache from Fang Qiming's voice, shot him a glance, "Can you lower your voice?"
Fang Qiming stared wide-eyed.