TEN

"O─oh, that?" Taehyung swallows thickly, nodding along whilst clearing his throat.

"Yeah, absolutely. The devil sure is.. something." He quiets down at the end, other, not so holy thoughts clouding his mind.

"Don't worry, just try to not look directly at his face, alright? If we'd stumble upon him, that is." Namjoon tries to reassure him, picking up on the way he went silent thinking it was out of fear.

The white haired boy hums, walking alongside the other angel.

"I have a plan!" He suddenly pipes, causing the taller to halt in his tracks.

"And what would that be?"

"Well, one of us distracts the first two demons Yoongi and Hoseok, whilst the other tries to sneak in to quickly grab the humans. How does that sound?" Taehyung voices his idea, his bright halo popping up for a split second as if it were a visible light bulb.

"That's.." Namjoon rubs his chin, glancing ahead. "Well, it's a plan. Other than that we have nothing, and I'd much rather rely on any plan at all than just go in there calling it," he pauses.

"But who is going to distract the demons upfront?"

"I'll do it. You know which humans we're supposed to retrieve, at least their names. Just try to be quick, hyung. I don't know for how long I'll be able to mislead them."

The younger bravely starts walking, taking a deep breath in.

Now he has to come up with something, and fast.

The moment he steps out of the red hue, his eyes scan around for two faces. It doesn't take long before he finds them, since they're not far off.

"H─hello.." He squeaks, slightly losing his composure when their scary faces snap towards him in such a horrorfying way, he's afraid he'll be getting nightmares.

"You again?" Hoseok retorts in bewilderment, glancing at the demon next to him.

"My, aren't you starting to like it here too much? What do you want this time? Coming in to book a vacation on a warm island?" He spits, clearly fed up with his presence.

Taehyung's face falls, picking up on the tone that he should absolutely turn around to leave now if he doesn't want to end up like any of the humans down there, that is.

He hastily looks around, not seeing Namjoon anywhere.

"W─well.. I, uh.." He's afraid he is going to cry, his mind going entirely blank.

The demons' faces turn bitter, angry expressions popping up.

"I'm going to count to three and if you aren't removed from my eyesight─"

Suddenly the sound of people screaming and the entire place turning even more chaotic than it already is, fills up everyone's eardrums.

"An angel managed to get to the humans without security, hurry!" A third unknown face screams at Yoongi and Hoseok, causing them to groan.

Taehyung's chest heaves up and down. Without looking back he dashes further at the speed of light, too quick for the demons to keep up.

His eyes search through the disorganisation in panic, trying to find a familiar head of grey-ish hair.

And when he does, his heart sinks to his stomach when he realises he is seconds away from getting knive-like weapons thrown at his body because of a martyr a little further away.

"Namjoon! Watch out!" He screams out at the top of his lungs, yet his voice is barely audible above all the other screeches.

Once the realisation sinks in that it is about to go extremely downhill, he runs towards the elder without any second thoughts wanting to protect him, yet fails to see he finds himself in the exact same situation as him.

Everything that proceeds to happen then, happens in a mere flash.

The movements of everyone freeze the moment an exceptionally loud, dangerously low voice reverberates throughout the entire department.

"FUCKING STOP THIS NONSENSE GODDAMN IT!"

Everyone's heads shoot towards the place the authoritive vocalisation came from, but something that is unable to listen to any command at all are knife-like, thrown objects.

Taehyung's panicked orbs fall upon the devil's frame, somehow feeling slightly more at ease.

It doesn't take long before Jeongguk finds his eyes in the midst of the crowd, an undecipherable look on his features.

Is it relief?

The boy can't pinpoint it.

However he watches as Jeongguk's eyes fall upon something behind him, and only then he, in fact, can read his expression.

He was about to turn around to see for himself why the man's orbs had widened, when a huge shadow blocks his vision and a body crashes against his own.

He yelps, gripping onto whatever it was to keep himself steady on his feet so he wouldn't fall down.

And just like that the slow-motion-like moment ends, and the sound of the demons roaring at the screaming humans fills up his ears again. 

"W─what─" He shrieks in confusion.

Whatever it is slightly loosens its grip, and only then does he realise what just happened.

He gasps loudly, skin suddenly feeling as if it's on fire. There are two hands gripping his waist, a large frame tightly pressed against his own.

The shadow retracts and Taehyung's eyes immediately get to land upon the enormous black and red set of wings that were just wrapped around him as a shield seconds ago.

His orbs trail further, eventually locking with a pair that leaves him weak on his knees.

Instead of letting go, it's as if they both forget about everything around them for a minute since all they can do is stare at each other.

Their breaths ever so slightly mingle, the tension unbearable.

"Thank you.." Taehyung softly whispers, his lips tugging up in a small smile. "But that wouldn't have killed me. You and I both know we're eternal."

The devil's own lips tug up in a small grin.

"I certainly do, little angel. But it still would've hurt."