06

chapter six, and meet again

It's Monday morning and Mira arrives at the university. She doesn't look around and just goes to her class. The professor's words don't seem to reach her ears anymore as she broods over something else. Her eyes wander outside the window beside her as she recalls last night's history.

She was sitting at her study table when her hands grabbed a page. That paper she found earlier and carelessly picked up. She opens the paper and reads what it says.

Parallel universe theory :

A parallel universe, also known as an alternate universe, parallel world, parallel dimension, or alternate reality, is a hypothetical self-contained plane of existence, co-existing with one's own. The sum of all potential parallel universes that constitute reality is often called a "multiverse".

Do parallel universes exist?

Similarly, with no data that suggests that parallel worlds exist - in the sense of individual universes that exist in higher dimensions and can interact with one another - we can conclude that parallel universes defined like this probably don't exist.

It also talked about a strange theory. The theory of a wormhole connecting two parallel universes. The idea of it and time traveling through a wormhole startled her. So similar. It became so familiar with the possibility of her own reality. Scary. It was.

The girl drowned in deep thoughts snaps back to reality as the professor grabs her attention. 

"Ms Jung, please focus." 

Her gaze quickly leaves the field outside the window as her eyes focus on the board.

Maybe, just maybe if her eyes rested at the same place for one more second could see two boys running towards the field.

The brunette boy chuckles at his friend's silliness. "Math, it's your enemy for sure," he says looking at Sunghoon's pouty face. "True, Jay," he sighs. A sigh of relief. 

"God I wonder how Jake is so smart to be in mathematics major!" Jay exclaims. Sunghoon shrugs. They are currently in the field in front of the physics department. His friend's got a guitar in his hands as he continues playing it. The sun's sunny up today which puts a smile on the sleepy boy's face. "It's so hot today," Sunghoon utters.

"Do you have a class later?" Jay asks him.

"Yeah, classical literature," he says closing his eyes as he carelessly lies down on the grass. 

-

Mira steps outside the class, thick books in her hand, earphones in her ear, a tote bag hanging on one of her shoulders, gaze following the ground. Her head is a mess, that's for sure. One might wonder looking at those hollow eyes, if she's slept the whole night. But that's common for someone studying in her department. But that definitely wasn't the cause for her.

Her legs walk as if they don't know where to go. Her brain is empty with words screaming at her if she knew what it wanted to say. The hallway is pretty empty. She doesn't realize someone rushing towards her direction but eventually does when it's too late to hold the person from falling on the ground. She falls too. 

"Oh- my, I'm sorry!" Mira gets the words ready before it's late enough for the person to start judging her. 

"It's-it's okay." 

The smile on the latter's face is way too familiar to not recognize. 

Mi-cha. Lee Mi-cha. Her only best friend. 

Her only best friend in the previous world. 

Not this one.

Mi-cha doesn't utter another word before going in her own direction while she's still sitting on the ground. Did the time speed up or she's just slow? She doesn't know.

A hand spreads across in front of her face. She looks up as she unwarily grabs the soft yet manly hands. "Hey, you alright?" Sunghoon asks, a genuine worry in his eyes yet he smiles.

He smiles. He smiles because his happiness wins over the worry he feels when he sees her. 

"Sunghoon?" 

"Yeah, it's me," his smile never leaves those lips. "And we meet again."