09

chapter nine, the stars

Sunghoon pov

"Do you think this math is solvable?"

I'm currently with my friends for a group study. It's currently 9 pm. We are trying to solve this one exact math problem for two hours.

"I'll ask the professor," Jake says.

Usually I don't talk a lot. Especially with the professors. No particular reasons, but maybe I avoid studying more than necessary.

"I mean it's your problem to solve," I scoff.

We three close our books and pack our stuff. It's getting late so we decide to head home now.

"Who was the girl earlier?" Jay asks me while I'm fixing my shoe laces.

"I don't know," i don't really know what to tell him to be honest.

"Don't hide it, man. We're not gonna steal your girl or something," Jake laughs.

Suddenly her face is all I remember. Recalling the time we last met.

It's something about her presence. Even when I hate talking, with her I'd utter a thousand words at once. And it's strange. I barely know her.

That's not what concerns me though. but something else does. the way she looks at me as if there are words screaming to be free, yearning. as if they are locked up and want to get out. but there's so much urge to be hidden at the same time.

"I want her number," Jake grins at me.

"Shut up, she's my friend before anyone else's," I roll my eyes again.

"A friend? Whose name you're unknown of," Jay puts his fingers on his chin, thinking hard.

"Gyeol, her name is Gyeol," I lie. well, partially. Because that's her name to me.

The night is brighter than yesterday. Stars are visible as I look above. Jay and I are walking after leaving jake's place.  Do I really want to know her name? I ask the stars. and maybe one star glistened.

Or maybe they fell apart. They fell, they died.