02

chapter two; the sun has finally collapsed.

mira pov

The ocean. 

Tonight it's giving me deja vu as if I know something I never knew. 

I'm sitting at the edge of a cliff. Yet I'm not jumping off it. My eyes have searched for every place but my legs took me here. I'm staring at the moon. If the sun stared at the moon it would feel the same as I'm feeling inside—the feeling of not having someone by your side but still loving them unconditionally. Is this how our story ends, hoon? Is this how we were to leave history?  To be completely zero in page.

I sigh which feels like the hundredth time today. It's been so long that I feel like I've already spent a whole year since this morning. My vision tells me there are a thousand stars in the ocean which is in the upper world. 

My eyes land on the beach and the waves crushing it.  I have never counted how many times we had come to this exact place. My brain pictures all the moments as a result it starts to hurt my head. And I keep getting lost in there.

My eyes are flushed open in the broad daylight. I see Sunghoon, as always his face reflecting the sunlight. He smiles at me. 

"Why do you love the ocean so much?" I ask him. He tilts his head on the right side and looks at me in the eyes. 

"The ocean is the beginning of life on earth. And I'd like to think of it as the beginning of our love. Maybe the commencement of everything beautiful. It can exist largely unchanged for centuries," He proudly utters.

He said, just like the ocean our love is. It'd only mean a beginning and never the end. 

I smile at him. He is buying ice cream from the ice cream van. A cup of ice cream of strawberry flavor is in my hand. "Do you wanna taste this flavor?" 

"Sure!" He yells from behind. "Catch me if you can and you may have some ice cream!" I tell him out loud and start running towards the ocean.

I can't go so far when he finally catches me but by that time half of our body is in the ocean when we finally realize we have fallen into the deep blue water. I look at him. He looks at me. And we burst out in laughter.

A drop of tear rolls down my cheek. And I'm in the reality again. I have no energy left in my body and I can hardly lift my hands to wipe away the tears. I'm so fragile for a human being to still keep living. My body's like a glass that is constantly being cracked each second that passes by. 

the next minute I find myself standing up. I look at the ocean for the last time and the moon's light reflecting on it. 

I hold my breath. The time has come. I push my body forward and let it fall freely as gravity starts doing the rest of the work. 

The sun has finally collapsed.

My body reaches the surface of the ocean sooner than I expect.

And it swallows me.