14. 𝕊𝕚𝕣, 𝕊𝕡𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕤, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕒 𝕊𝕚𝕕𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕁𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕤𝕪

There I was, daydreaming with my eyes glued to the world outside, when suddenly, click - the sound of a camera snapped me back to reality.

"Gotcha!"

Max's voice was laced with mischief, his grin wide and wicked in the rearview mirror

Twisting around, I caught Jake giving our intertwined hands the kind of look one gives a puzzle. I quickly let go, my cheeks heating up. "Oops, sorry...sir."

Jake's eyebrow did a little dance, clearly not amused by the 'sir', while Max's laughter echoed through the car.

Jake's voice dropped to a husky whisper, "Do me a favor, drop the 'sir', will you?"

My heart did a somersault. Oh, Riley, get a grip!

"But you're the one who's older than me here! It's all about respect," I managed, my voice a mix of confusion and awe.

Max's laughter broke out, and even the driver tried to hide a smile behind his hand.

"Why not me? I'm old too, right?" Max replied, pretending to pout.

Jake's gaze could have frozen the ocean, but it quickly melted away as he turned towards me, leaving me speechless.

Max, always the instigator, said that his 'youthful glow' might be the reason why I could greet Max so casually but not Jake, which sparked laughter and eased the tension in the car. As we drove, the city lights danced like fireflies outside, our laughter the perfect soundtrack to the evening.

"Where to next, sir?" I teased, unable to resist.

Jake leaned in, his breath warm against my ear, "Call me 'sir' again, and you'll see..." Chills raced down my spine, a mix of fear and thrill.

Jake's car stopped in front of Blue Archie Cafe, where I worked. As I got out of the car, I saw my best friend walking up, Nicholas' friendly wave greeting me. Rushing towards him, I was enveloped in a comforting hug, though Jake's gaze felt like a storm brewing on the horizon.

Nicholas complimented my looks, sending warmth flooding through me, but Jake's silent observation sent a different kind of heat coursing through my veins.

"You look really pretty today, Riley," Nicholas said to me as we walked in.

Suddenly, Jake nudged my shoulder as he passed by, a teasing whisper from Max that wasn't aimed at my ear, "Looks like you got a rival, man."

What was with Jake? His mood swings were as unpredictable as the weather, leaving me intrigued and a tad frustrated.