7. 𝔹𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕘𝕚𝕣𝕝

🎶 Don't be afraid
I've taken my beating, I've shared what I made
I'm strong on the surface, but not all the way through
I've never been perfect, but neither have you
So, if you're asking me, I want you to know
When my time comes, forget the wrong that I've done
Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed
Don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty
Keep me in your memory, leave out all the rest
Leave out all the rest 🎶

I kept glancing at my phone while practicing with my band, hoping that a new notification would come through. The rehearsal studio was filled with the sound of our instruments, but my mind was elsewhere.

My bandmates noticed my distraction and started to get annoyed.

"Hey man, can you focus?" Zeke asked me, his bass guitar hanging loosely around his neck.

"Yeah, sorry," I said, feeling so bad for them. Usually, I'm happy and focused when practicing with my band, but this time my mind was elsewhere, and I couldn't focus on the rehearsal this time.

🎶 Forgetting all the hurt inside
You've learned to hide so well
Pretending someone else
Can come and save me from myself
I can't be who you are
I can't be who you are 🎶

Finally, we decided to take a short break. The room was dimly lit, with posters of our favorite bands plastered on the walls. The air was thick with the scent of sweat and anticipation.

I could see the look on my band's faces as they were annoyed at me for not focusing like I usually did.

"Dude, are you here with us?" Sean jokingly asked, his guitar resting on his lap.

I grinned sheepishly. "Sorry guys, my mind is elsewhere."

Wild shouts came out of their mouths after hearing my words.

"I can't stop thinking about Riley. It's so hard not seeing her, and I miss her so badly," I said as I plopped down on the sofa inside our practice room. The worn-out cushions creaked under my weight.

My bandmates laughed at me like they couldn't believe what I just said. They said I see Riley almost every day.

"Geez, it hasn't been a day since you've seen her, Kayne," Zeke laughed as he shook his head, his dreads swaying with the motion.

"It's hard when people are in love," Daniel teased as he threw his drumsticks at me, and I caught them with a laugh.

Yes, to be honest, I'm overreacting. I see Riley almost every day, sometimes I pick her up in the morning to take her to college and then I do my work, and in the afternoon or evening, I pick her back up to take her home.

So if I say that it's been a long time since I've seen her, that's a lie. Ha! Maybe this is called falling in love. And I'm currently suffering from Riley Hayes fever. Argh.

"Where is she? Why haven't you met her yet?"

"She's not going anywhere, it's just that today I'm trying not to see her," I could see their confused reactions.

"It's not that I don't want to see her, but I'm afraid she'll get bored with me because we see each other every day," I said weakly.

They laughed at my behavior like a teenager in love.

"So now you want to play push and pull with her?"

I just shrugged hesitantly, "I was just wondering if she would look for me if I wasn't around all day."

"It turns out she wasn't looking for you," Zeke mocked me, he always likes to tease me.

I'm getting frustrated hearing that.