Just Fangirling in the Background

Start from the beginning

Still, he leaned over and said, "I'm gonna be just like her one day."

"Any questions?" Ahsoka asked when she finished her mini lesson.

Caleb's hand shot up without his concent. And when Ahsoka called on him, he blurted. "How are you so awesome?!" before he could think.

Ahsoka took a step back as all the others snickered. "Um, sorry, what?"

Caleb felt his face burn so red he might look like Wallo's twin. "I mean, uh–" He swallowed hard and stuttered until he managed to choke out something generic out about the lesson, hardly hearing his own words.

"Good question," Ahsoka said, and launched into a thorough explanation to answer his revised question.

"Nice going," cackled Wallo beside him, clapping him on the back.

Caleb curled up into a tight little ball with his legs against his chest and his face still burning and his eyes buried in his knees. He squeezed his eyes shut and wished more than anything that he could just disappear. And he didn't move when the questions stopped coming and everyone started climbing to their feet.

"Just go," Caleb muttered to Wallo when he hesitated, and the red-skinned boy eventually did.

Once everyone had filed out, Caleb let out a shaky sigh into his knees. Then he realized that not everyone was gone. There was still one little life form looming on the other side of the room. But the life form came closer, footsteps almost ghostly silent.

A delicate, slender hand fell onto his shoulder.

"To answer your question," Ahsoka's voice told him, "I had a lot of help getting 'awesome,' from a lot of different Masters and a lot of different clones. And thanks, by the way, for saying I'm awesome."

By the time Caleb mustered enough courage to look up, eyes bugging, she was gone.

///

"Fulcrum," Hera breathed as a Togruta woman climbed down the ladder from the Ghost's cockpit. And Kanan's heart dropped when he recognized those facial markings.

"Ahsoka," she said, "my name is Ahsoka Tano."

And Kanan's heart dropped too.

"Why did you come here?" Kanan asked before he could stop himself, and he mentally kicked himself. He was always slipping up around Ahsoka.

But Ahsoka simply smiled and answered his question in a way he hadn't intended, but it (thankfully) made sense. And Honestly, Kanan didn't hear a word she said after that, since his brain was too busy racing and thinking up all sorts of sticky situations he was in danger of. If only she wouldn't recognize him—

And then hera pretty much crushed all his hope when she and Ahsoka got to talking, and Ahsoka ended up agreeing to spend the evening with the crew. So Kanan elected to spend his evening panicking and frantically inventing pointless excuses in case Ahsoka happened to recognize him.

She's not going to know it's me! He tried telling himself over and over again but it wouldn't work, even when Ahsoka hardly paid him any mind with Hera and Sabine keeping her busy. Sabine with interrogation and Hera with trying to distract the interrogation.

And eventually he found himself in the galley kitchen alone with his datapad and a few stacks of paperwork. He was finally starting to relax when he realized he wasn't alone anymore. And when he looked up, he saw none other than Ahsoka Tano looking very smug.

"Well, well, well, if you'll look who it is," Ahsoka mused, kicking off the wall to plop into the opposite seat. "It's the kid who thinks I'm awesome!"

Kanan wished he could disappear.

"Aw, look, he's turning red," teased Ahsoka. "I'll admit it, I didn't recognize you for a while."

Okay, new tactic. Play dumb. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Your red face suggests otherwise. Just admit it–" she leaned in close to whisper— "Caleb Dume."

Why couldn't the floor break, launching him into space?

"You're overthinking everything, I can see it in your eyes. Stop that." Ahsoka stood, reaching over to pat his wrist before heading for the door. "Besides, it looks like you've gotten pretty kriffing awesome yourself."

She left, saying something about having to get going, but Kanan hardly caught it.

Because Ahsoka Tano just called him awesome.

--------------------

Word Count: 1,161

Published: 2 March 2023

No I didn't proofread it you're welcome because now you can translate sick person typos yayyyyy. 

Requests are still closed (oopsies). 

Hasta luego, peoples!