Chapter 6: Forgotten in the Rain

Chapter 6

He pulls away from me and I open my eyes. He smiles, “Mary, you need to wake up.”

I give him a puzzle look and he says, “Wake up, Mary. Wake up.”

He fades away and I find myself lying in bed staring at the ceiling. A pillow is thrown at me, “Mary, wake up!”

“I’m up!” I yell at Harry.

“We’re running late!”

I look at my clock. “Harry, why didn’t you wake me up earlier?! I have 15 minutes!” I jump out of bed and run to the bathroom. I quickly put on my make up and throw on a pair of skinny jeans and a big sweater. Harry hands me a protein bar, “Get a ride with Niall.”

As he’s pushing me out the door I say, “Wait, what about y-“

“Just do it.” He says cutting me off.

I run through the rain to Niall’s car waiting out front. I climb in the passenger side and shut the door. The ride there was quiet except the static of the car radio.

~~~

*Lunch*

I had done a successful job all day avoiding Jessica, Emily, and Madison so that was good, but there was one place I couldn’t avoid them.

The lunch room.

It is all you need to find out where people belong; the place that fosters all the cliques.

You have the jocks, the cheerleaders, the wannabes, the geeks, the nerds, the rebels, the wannabe rebels, the goths, the stoners, the hipsters, and the misfits. Oh! I almost forgot. Then there’s me.

I sigh as I walk into the lunch line and pay for my “lunch”, if you want to call it that. I don’t even think it is real food. As I walk over to my lone table in the corner a red stiletto sticks out just as a walk by Jessica. I trip and fall with my lunch now all over me. Laughs go through the entire cafeteria. I look up and see Jessica smiling at me, “Oh, sorry, Mary. Didn’t see you there.” She laughs again along with everyone else. Tears well in my eyes and Jessica laughs again, “Oh no. Is Mary gonna cry?” I stand up and run out of the lunch room. I find the janitor’s closet unlocked so I go in and quickly shut the door. I crawl into the corner hugging my knees to my chest and I begin crying so hard I can hardly breathe. I hear the door knob turn and the door opens. The janitor is standing there and I look up at him. He gives me a sympathetic look, “Hey, Mary.”

I sniffle, “H-hi.”

He reaches into a brown paper bag and tosses me half a sandwich. I smile slightly, “Thanks, Jesse.”

He grabs his broom, “No problem.” Then he leaves. This was a regular occurrence. Well not Jessica humiliating me in front of the entire school but me skipping lunch so I don’t have to face her. I usually come and hide out here. Jesse has gotten use to it and will usually make an extra half sandwich just in case. I unwrap the sandwich and take a bite and sigh. Why does this have to happen to me? I mean, why does she hate me? I’ve never done anything to make her hate me. If anything, with all the homework I’ve done for her you would at least think she would just leave me alone. My bottom lip trembles. What did I do to deserve this? I’m not a mean person. I’m smart. Last time I checked I’m pretty attractive. So, why does she hate me? I take another bite of my sandwich as I continue to think.