2. Miss Grumpy!

Devika

Devika

If you don't have your food, I won't be talking to you."

My nap was broken by the voice of my best friend, who might be talking to her fourth boyfriend this month. I glanced at my wrist watch to see what time it was. It's 2 a.m.
Shit! I slept for half an hour. I was supposed to take a ten-minute break. I was doing some research work for my article to be published in the Times of India and didn't realise it when I slept in the living room.

Another voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Baby, you know how much I love my kuchupu!"

Kuchupu!!! Really. Has she gone crazy? She can't be my roommate anymore. I have read in books and seen in movies that people give nicknames to the person they love. But this kuchupu is too much for me to handle. And what about their sleep? Don't they feel sleepy?

"Not everyone is like you, Devika. They have their personal lives except for working." My brain mocked. Whatever!

"You are my lifeline. Without you, I'll be lost."
Ewww, this is so cringeworthy.

"Shrestha, for gods sake, if you don't stop your cringy talks, I'll throw you out of the room."

She just rolled her eyes at me as she left the living room and went to her room.

Oops, I forgot to introduce myself.
Hi, I am Devika Singhania, a journalist by profession. I started my career as an executive editor at Indian TV Today.

Exploring new stories, meeting interesting people, and uncovering the truth-that's what my life is all about. It might sound exciting, but it's not. My workload increases when there are natural calamities taking place. And there are people trying to steal your stories because this issue keeps happening every time. Of course, my profession comes with the willpower to disappoint me with the truth. Yes, it can be challenging at times, but it's definitely rewarding at the end of the day.

I live in a flat and share it with my best friend, Shrestha. She has been my rock since my college days. Despite being total opposites, we are friends with each other.
My rain of thoughts was broken by a ringing sound as I glanced at my phone. It's my brother, Vihaan. Now, what does he want? He is calling me this late.

"Hello," I replied, picking up the call.

"Di, how are you?" He said it in a polite tone. Listening to him, I choked on the air. Because this tone is the tone of asking a favour.

"Woh sab chor pehle yeh bol tujhe kya chahiye mere se!"
("Leave everything now. Say, What do you want from me?")

"Di nhi aisi koi baat nahi hai."
("Di, there's nothing like that.")

"Toh fir kya baat hai kya order ki ho."

("Then what's the matter? From where have you ordered?")

"Aap ko pata kaise chal jata hai!"
("How come you come to know every time?") I know either he has ordered something to eat or he has a ordered a new pair of shoes.

"Okay, now that you have come to know, can you transfer the amount of 4000 rupees into my bank account?" he pleaded.

4000. That's a lot. My dad is rich, but I am not. And I had stopped taking money from him since I was a child. "What are you going to do with that much money?"

"Actually, I have to pay my tuition fees. You know, dad gave me this month's pocket money, but I have spent it. And I can't ask momma, you know, " Today's Genz. They don't know how to save money.

"But Vihaan, this is not how it works. You need to stop spending on unnecessary things. This is the last time I am helping you."

After giving a lecture, I kept my phone. And I wondered whether he has a family with a loving mom and dad, unlike me.

"Only if you give your father a chance to talk, you'll have a family too," my inner self said.

Only if it were that easy to give a chance to that man who has ruined my childhood. I sighed.

I glanced at my laptop and started working. Tomorrow is going to be a hectic day.
_______________________________________________

Next day

I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I went to the bathroom and did my morning routine. Coming out, I went straight to our small kitchen. I made some toast and scrambled eggs for myself and for Shrestha. She hasn't woken yet, I know, but when she wakes up, she will be searching for food.

I took a toast to my mouth and started getting ready. I have two meetings to attend, one broadcast, and some editing that needs my attention. I chose to wear a baby pink shirt, accompanying it with a white pair of trousers. I wore my watch and applied some lip balm. I like to keep it simple. Taking a final glance at my mirror, I went to my office.

Her outfit

Her outfit.

~•~

When I reached my office,. It was in total chaos. My boss, Abhinav Dwivedi, was shouting at the top of his lungs. I saw some frightening faces from my colleague. When my boss noticed me, he asked, "Devika, where are the articles that were supposed to be submitted today?"

I quickly took out my files and handed them over to him. Reading his expression, I'm sure he didn't like it.

Again, Devika ou have to do it again. My innerself was keep on saying this line.

But this time, I made sure that there was no mistake. If he makes me redo my work, I will surely bury him six feet deep. Only I have the right to do so because he is my childhood best friend. You are wondering how I am working under him. That's the story for some other day.

But, to my luck, he appreciated my work. I don't have to commit any murders.
"This doesn't need any correction; you can put it up on our site."

"And you all meet me in the conference room." Everyone nodded.

After two consecutive meetings, I had a break of 10 minutes. I went to the canteen and ordered a cup of coffee. Coffee will keep me going for the rest of the day. I have a broadcast and an anchor. My job is to broadcast the news, but today I have to do the anchoring because of the anchor's absence.

Being a journalist, I have learned to control my emotions. We can't show emotions while reading news, no matter how disheartening it is. We had to keep a straight face. My work was completed by 9 p.m., and I was about to go, my phone made a beep sound. It was from Shrestha.

" Devika You won't believe who I met today. I met my Rudy."

Rudy ? Maybe someone from Tinder or Bumble.

I typed, "How am I supposed to know who your Rudy is?"

Typing....

"Uff, you are so boring. Rudy means Mr. Rudra Sensharma. The most eligible bachelor."

Oh, maybe some of her crushes. But this name sounds familiar.

_______________________________________________

What are your thoughts on Devika ?

Pardon me for the grammatical errors as english is not my first language.

Do vote and comment your reviews

See you all in the next chapter till then take care.