into the void I descend

18

18

Ezra

I draw her into a corner, our bodies pressing together as we collide with the wall. In that moment, the realisation of our proximity sinks in when our chests meet. Her heart races, and I sharply turn to meet her gaze.

     Our eyes lock, and I sense her breath quickening, mirroring my own. She lightly touches my chest, causing me to pull away instantly, as if her touch burns me.

I attempt to distract myself and cautiously peek my head out, spotting a man in a hoodie attempting to open the apartment door.

"Is he back?" she whispers behind me, her breath hot on my back.

"Stay here," I manage to say, my voice rough.

Stepping out, I rush forward just as the man is about to close the door, thrusting my leg to halt its closure. The man inside glances back in surprise, fear flashing in his eyes. Without hesitation, I forcefully swing the door open, catching him off guard.

I storm into the apartment, seizing the man by the collar and hurling him against the wall. Imani rushes in behind me, her eyes wide with shock.

"Ezra, what are you doing? Let him go!"

The young man, fear evident in his eyes, tries to break free as I press him harder against the wall.

"Start talking," I growl, my grip tightening. "Where did you get the photo?"

"What photo?" he cries out in panic, and I move my hand to his jaw, holding it firmly.

"The photo you gave her! Where did you get it?!"

"I don't know anything about a photo. Let me go!" he yells.

     "No? You're not going to tell me?"

    I move him from the wall and towards the window, his desperate pleas filling the room. With a quick and forceful action, I position him near the edge, his head hovering outside as though I'm considering tossing him out.

     "Ezra, what are you doing? Are you crazy?" Imani's voice trembles, sounding horrified.

     The man, now teetering on the edge of panic, pleads desperately, "Please, I don't know anything! I swear!"

    I keep him by the window, the cool air chilling the room. "Start talking, or I won't hesitate," I warn, my grip tightening, the edge of the window ledge digging into his skin.

     "Ezra, please." Imani's desperation grows, her words urgent. "I know you want the truth, but not like this."

     He trembles in my grip, tears streaming down his face, his eyes wide with terror as he dangles close to the window. With a sigh, I pull him back from the window. Imani breathes a sigh of relief, while the man, now on his knees, gasps for breath.